225 Pro XS Big Problems

Engine: 2007 Mercury 225 Pro XS
    Serial #: 1B458907
    Boat: 2007 Triton TR210

I've posted before about issues with this motor. It's been at a dealers for a total of 3 weeks this short boating/fishing season here in Massachusetts.

The motor intermittently, although patterns are starting to emerge, won't run over 2200 RPMS but stays stable at about 1800 rpms. Most of the time after a bit of this it will cough, rpms increase and it will run normally but then if you slow it down like on a small lake it starts all over again. I think about everything that could be done to this thing has been done. Of course there are no codes. Calls to mercury service have not been all that helpful.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Surely I cannot be the only one. I am retired and don't have a ton of disposable income so randomly changing parts (that has happened) isn't helping.

Worse yet, sometimes the thing runs great. like on 7/4/19, ran great in 90 degree heat and humidity.

Any clues I could share with a dealer would be appreciated. I have a video of this happening, but cannot figure out how to get it off my phone on to the pc to attach. (I need an IT guy too).
    Last edited by Frank Maher; 07-12-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Tried to add a video unsuccessfully

Upload the video to youtube and post the link.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

3. Member
    Get the "printouts" from the Dealer after the problem has occurred. Your never going to correct the issue efficiently and cost effectively any other way.

Will the printouts show anything if there are no codes as reported by the OP?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Will the printouts show anything if there are no codes as reported by the OP?
    Absolutely!!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Additionally, it would be a GREAT idea to have the dealer perform a RECORDING on the Computer Diagnostic System, while the engine is doing this. The recording (and corresponding data) can be reviewed repeatedly while monitoring various data items.

A very useful tool for those "odd" ones.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Hi: Here is the video link I copied to Youtube, I hope correctly.

8. Member
    Gee, seems like you have a bad prop that won't spin to get the rpm's about 2200

9. Member
    I don't think so. It is a Fury prop and about 2 years old without a nick on it. Plus there are days the thing runs great and when it does the weather varies. You just never know. Fished a night tournament Thursday and it again it wouldn't run above 2200 but at take off it ran just fine, when I went to move is when the motor wouldn't perform. Puzzling.

10. Member
    Mine did the exact same thing one time when I installed a new primer bulb in my '06 Pro XS 225 and when I did the plastic liner inside the fuel line wadded up inside restricting the flow intermittently. I found out the liner separating inside was a common problem on the older type fuel line so a new fuel line has been designed.

11. Member
    What are your plugs looking like after that ?

12. Member
    LOL! I'm sure they don't look too good. Will have to change them out more than likely

13. Member
    I don't think that was looked at as I didn't request it. Sounds like as good a theory as I have heard so far. Thanks

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any history of powerhead or exhaust tuner being replaced?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Turned out to be a "coil acting up", just what I thought from the beginning. Glad I did that video then they knew I wasn't doing something to cause it. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and likely causes. It really is great to have people you have never met to try and be helpful. Hope I can be of help some day.

Glad you got 'er solved