Thread: Eyra info !

GTB

Eyra info !

I’m looking at purchasing my first Basscat . I am always owned Rangers. My question is about the 2014 Eyra. Is that hull built for speed or a good ride. And how do they handle rough water ? I’ve only ridden in one Basscat and it was fast but the water was flat so it was hard to tell how it handled rough water. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I live on Lake of the Ozarks, and lots of rough water during the tourist season. My 2017 Eyra handles it as good as any boat out there. You have to take into consideration driver input to smooth out the bumps!

3. Member
    Eyra fishes very well and rides just as good. Going to be ordering one myself very soon

4. Member
    Eyra is fast...but it's extremely good in chop and rough water. It's not a Bullet or Allison....it's not a 90mph lightweight. It's built for big water fishing conditions. Super agile, but stable enough to fish 2 up front and be comforting in rough water. I had a P2, then a 2018 Eyra and now have a 2020 Eyra on order. It's that good !!!!
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

5. Member
    The Eyra is fast but has great big water handling. I really think that it is the best of both worlds. You will only get out run by a go fast boat and you can tackle all conditions. I plan on updating my Eyra in 2021 and have not decided on which motor....250 SHO, 250R or 300R.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

6. GTB
    Thanks guys

7. Member
    I also have one on order, cannot wait.

8. Member
    Best big water boat I’ve owned. Extremely dry ride. I’d love it if they made the exact same hull 2 feet longer.

9. Member
    I have a 2014 Eyra, superb in rough water. Everyone comments how well it handles chop and wakes. And it's dry too. The ride of the Eyra really surprised me, and sure it is fast too.

10. Member
    I am selling my '18 to get into a '20. Absolutely amazing boat, have previously owned Champions, Viper, Rangers, Phoenixs and I love the Eyra. Its insanely fast, and extremely fun to drive. It handles rough water very well, and very maneuverable in the bigger water. Plus the fishability of it is great, very stable and easy to get in and around tight places. You will absolutely love the boat.
    2018 BassCat Eyra - 250Pro XS

11. Member
    This is something I had posted a while back but may be useful to you. It is a comparison opinion of the Puma Vs. Eyra.

I have a fair amount of experience in both hulls. I’m currently on my second Eyra in 5 years and have several very close friends with Puma’s.
    –Puma front deck is slightly bigger at the trolling motor pedal. It’s not a huge difference but I find it noticable. Better for the guy on the troller
    –Eyra front deck is slightly wider at the consoles and the middle of the deck extends slightly further rearward towards the consoles. Better for the guy standing behind the guy on the troller
    –Top speed is very close between the two. I think the Eyra has more potential with a light setup. However, loaded out on tournament day both are capable of Mid to upper 70’s every day with a full tournament load. Very close here and should not be a deciding factor in my opinion.
    –Handling will go to the Eyra. Once you learn the little details of driving an Eyra it will carve turns and bayous like no other I’ve been in except an Allison hull.
    –Hole shot goes to the Puma. The hole shot times are very similar, but the Puma comes out a little flatter which is helpful in extremely shallow water like we fish here in Southeast La.
    –Rough water ride is a toss up. They both do very well. I find the Eyra’s handling makes it easier to correct and navigate in between rollers. The Eyra almost refuses to stuff a wave unless you are really off of your game. It has compensated for my poor driving and saved me from getting wet several times.
    –Storage is also a toss up. I am in love with the coffin lid setup on the Eyra and is one of the main reasons I went with another Eyra instead of the Puma. You may prefer the split front storage and more traditional box on the front deck of the Puma. I also believe the Eyra has slightly larger openings on the rear deck for rear storage although the actual boxes are the same size.
    –Ice Chest goes to the Puma. It’s bigger and deeper. Don’t underestimate the importance of the ice chest when fishing in the heat of summer. We go through a bunch of drinks down here and The Eyra’s cooler is adequate but not as good as the Puma. Thankfully they both have an additional ice chest under the center seat/step. Since the latches were changed to the new style they both hold Ice exceptionally well.
    –Seating is a little tighter in the Eyra. You sit lower and there is less leg room under the console in the Eyra. I prefer the lower seating as it makes me feel more secure when running hard instead of sitting on top of the boat. It’s important in the Eyra because it turns so hard. I am 6’1″ tall with a long inseam and don’t have an issue with the Eyra cockpit but it is different and you should sit in both. The cockpit area overall is smaller in the Eyra.
    –Handling on the trolling motor goes to the Eyra. It is just more nimble and goes where you point it effortlessly. The Puma is great on the troller as well but can’t match the quick direction changes and “backing up” abilities of the Eyra.
    –If you fish offshore mostly, I believe your decision is easier. Go with the Puma. It is slightly more stable and the little bit more room up front by the troller will help.
    –It’s really tough to describe the differences without spending time in both. Overall I’d say the puma is slightly bigger, Just as fast as the Eyra in most conditions, a little roomier in the cockpit, slightly more comfortable overall. More of a sport touring type setup.
    –The Eyra feels much more sporty. It handles like its on rails, It’s an overall slightly smaller package, has a unique but wonderful storage layout, and I personally think the body lines are just beautiful! It’s a stunning looking package even now after 9 model years.
    –I prefer the sporty feel, looks, storage layout of the Eyra. But we each place different value on certain things so its important to find someone to spend some time with before making the decision.
    I hope this helps some of you who are new to Bass Cat and anyone trying to decide on your next model.

Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

12. Member
    I'm thinking about an Eyra for the next boat. I'm real happy with the P2 so I'm interested in the rumors of a facelift on that hull. I especially love the hole shot on the P2 and don't think I can give that up. Real important where I fish.

13. Member
    This is not a knock on the Eyra hull. But, I can assure you that if the P-2 hole shot is important to you, you will not be overly excited with the hole shot on any of the 20' Offerings that Bass Cat has. I have done a lot of setup experimenting the last 4 years on my Eyra's and have not come close to the hole shot on the P-2's. I have been able to make it very acceptable but not neck snapping good. That alone has me thinking that my next boat (hopefully that won't be for a while) will be a P-2. I'm running a 24" Fury 3 blade on my Eyra and my Son-in-law is running a 26" Fury on his P-2 and he still out hole-shots and accelerates me by a good bit. I can run him down after a good run but that P-2 is a bad little son of a gun!
    Last edited by shapfromla; 07-21-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

14. Member
    I owned a 2014 Eyra and now a 2016 PII.
    When compared to the PII, the hole shot is the Eyra's achelies heel. Especially with live wells full.
    I always thought the Eyra would be the perfect machine if it had the PII's hole shot.

Of course if I ever went back to a BCB 20 footer, it would be the Eyra.
    In my opinion the perfect 19 footer would be the PII with the Eyra lines, scoops, and front deck lay out.
    So yeah, I really like them both a lot!

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    This is not a knock on the Eyra hull. But, I can assure you that if the P-2 hole shot is important to you, you will not be overly excited with the hole shot on any of the 20' Offerings that Bass Cat has. I have done a lot of setup experimenting the last 4 years on my Eyra's and have not come close to the hole shot on the P-2's. I have been able to make it very acceptable but not neck snapping good. That alone has me thinking that my next boat (hopefully that won't be for a while) will be a P-2. I'm running a 24" Fury 3 blade on my Eyra and my Son-in-law is running a 26" Fury on his P-2 and he still out hole-shots and accelerates me by a good bit. I can run him down after a good run but that P-2 is a bad little son of a gun!
    And the P2 sips fuel @ 50-55