Helix 9 SI and DI Image Clarity

I have a Helix 9 SI G3N Mega+ unit and I am trying to get clearer images on DI and SI. My transducer is mounted to the trolling motor. When I try to adjust the settings to show fish, the image becomes cloudy, and I can’t seem to get sharp images. The images below are SI and DI pairs, taken of trees and a brushpile. When I use the ZOOM function, the image becomes even more blurry with less detail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    S00027.PNGS00028.PNGS00038.PNGS00039.PNG

2. Member
    Are you adjusting sensitivity and contrast?

It looks like the sensitivity is a little low in those images .... More information is better

It might be worth experimenting with the imaging max and clear modes also to see if the clear mode will help get some of the clutter out when increasing sensitivity.
    Last edited by Bob B; 07-12-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    It looks like the sensitivity is a little low in those images .... More information is better

It might be worth experimenting with the imaging max and clear modes also to see if the clear mode will help get some of the clutter out when increasing sensitivity.
    Thanks for the response. I have tried both CLEAR Mode and MAX Mode during 9 trips to the lake with this unit. The images posted were taken with CLEAR mode, because MAX mode was even worse on the clutter. I have tried many different combinations of sensitivity and contrast settings, from 1 to 20, but these are the very best images I have been able to get, with the settings very near default. I am making these recordings with the default sensitivity and contrast, then spending hours at home during playback adjusting the sensitivity and contrast on the recording, then taking a screen shot of the best image. Is it true that the sensitivity and contrast can be adjusted after a recording is made and does not have to be set during the initial recording?

Sonar logs are raw data and adjustments can be made during playback .... are you playing back on the unit or using PC software?

The sensitivity seemed to low in all those screen shots you posted.

6. Member
    Sonar logs are raw data and adjustments can be made during playback .... are you playing back on the unit or using PC software?

Thanks. I always playback on the unit. I will increase the sensitivity and post an image.

7. Member

I have attached the same images as above, but with changes to sensitivity. Settings are: CLEAR Mode, Sensitivity=20, Contrast=8, Sharpness=OFF
    S00047.PNGS00048.PNGS00046.PNGS00045.PNG

8. Member

I have attached another set of images using MAX Mode. Settings are: MAX Mode, Sensitivity=20, Contrast=8, Sharpness=OFF
    S00041.PNGS00042.PNGS00043.PNGS00044.PNG

PM sent
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I don't think there is a problem with your unit. There just seems to be a lot of stuff in the water. I wouild probablly switch to a lower frequency in that lake because of the junk in the water.

The Di looks like it could still us a little higher sensitivity.

11. Member
    I don't think there is a problem with your unit. There just seems to be a lot of stuff in the water. I wouild probablly switch to a lower frequency in that lake because of the junk in the water.

The Di looks like it could still us a little higher sensitivity.
    Okay, I will try 455 kHz next time I go to the lake. I tried it before, but the images were worse, so I quit using it. I will make more recordings with 455 kHz and see if I can find settings that work well. Thanks for your reply.

I see the water temps were around the 69 degree range when you took those shots .... it is possible the water has cleared up since then. Choosing the best freaquency for the current conditions it part of owning a mega unit.

Kinda sounds like you are doing the right thing by recording and playing back and adjusting settings during playback. You can also pause the unit on the water by moving the cursor ... and then play around with the settings to get the best image. You won't be abe to change the frequency while doing this, but will be able to adjust the other settings.

Most of us Huminbird users appreciate the ability to change scroll speed and other setting to get the image we want to see. Sometimes the most pretty image doesn't have the most information.

13. Member
    I see the water temps were around the 69 degree range when you took those shots .... it is possible the water has cleared up since then. Choosing the best freaquency for the current conditions it part of owning a mega unit.

Kinda sounds like you are doing the right thing by recording and playing back and adjusting settings during playback. You can also pause the unit on the water by moving the cursor ... and then play around with the settings to get the best image. You won't be abe to change the frequency while doing this, but will be able to adjust the other settings.

Most of us Huminbird users appreciate the ability to change scroll speed and other setting to get the image we want to see. Sometimes the most pretty image doesn't have the most information.
    The screen shots that I posted were made back on June 24 because the wind was very calm that day. Since then, I have made newer recordings of the same brushpiles and trees multiple times, including this past week. Water temp is now up to 85 deg. However, image clarity on all trips has been very similar to the posted June 24 images. I am hopeful that the 455 kHz will work better than MEGA, and I will try that soon. Thanks again for your suggestions.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Ranger View Post
    The screen shots that I posted were made back on June 24 because the wind was very calm that day. Since then, I have made newer recordings of the same brushpiles and trees multiple times, including this past week. Water temp is now up to 85 deg. However, image clarity on all trips has been very similar to the posted June 24 images. I am hopeful that the 455 kHz will work better than MEGA, and I will try that soon. Thanks again for your suggestions.
    I tried 455 kHz as suggested. The screenshots below have the following settings: 455 kHz Chirp, Sensitivity=20, Contrast=8, Sharpness=OFF
    S00053.PNGS00054.PNG

I then made settings adjustments. The screenshots below have the following settings: 455 kHz Chirp, Sensitivity=10 (default), Contrast=10 (default), Sharpness=OFF
    S00055.PNGS00056.PNG

It seems to me that these 455 kHz images are still fuzzy and blurry, and not really any better than the previous MEGA images. I have not been able to get sharp images with any settings thus far. Shouldn't a Helix 9 G3N MEGA+ unit provide sharper, clearer images than the ones I have posted? I would appreciate any other suggestions or recommendations? Thanks

Is the face of the transducer parallel with the bottom/water surface when scanning?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Is the face of the transducer parallel with the bottom/water surface when scanning?
    The transducer is mounted on the trolling motor and is definitely parallel to the motor housing, but I have not verified if the bow of the boat in the water is exactly level. Its installed on the bow of a 17 ft Ranger bass boat. I will check the level next time I go to the lake. Thanks for the suggestion.