Banned

Question 2011 Merc Optimax 115, Dropped a Cylinder

1b804874- 165 hours.
    Made a WOT 5 minute run today, then backed out of it to a slower speed for a couple of minutes, then it lost power. No alarms, but felt like it went from 3 to 2 cylinders. Idled along for maybe 5 minutes while trying to get my Vessel View Mobile to connect, but no service. Suddenly the 3rd cylinder started firing again, and it ran normally on plane back to the ramp. Checked when I got home, no codes or faults stored that I could see.

This motor has the upgraded coils.

What say you; do the symptoms sound like a coil going bad, or do they typically fail completely?
    This is great timing, as we have a club points tournament this Sunday, and a pre-paid two day tournament next weekend.

2. Member
    does sound coily
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    does sound coily
    Agreed.
    Even worse, my home lake that I test and troubleshoot on is one minute away, but is this weekend's tourney lake, so it's off limits for me. The next closest big lake is 40 minutes away.
    Hopefully the local dealer can get one in before next weekend. If I end up not needing it, I'll have a spare for another time.

4. Banned
    Would a coil with an intermittent failure show up as different than the other two coils when going through the troubleshooting guide with a meter? Trying to narrow this down on shore.

5. Member
    possibly heat um with with a hair dryer and test may show a bad one
    Last edited by JOE54; 07-12-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    possibly um whith with a hair dryer and test may show a bad one
    Not a bad idea, I could do that on the muffs. And through some sort of divine intervention the local dealer has a coil in stock.

7. Member
    Can you put a timing light on coil to see if firing?
    Praying for a Cure

8. Banned
    I did the troubleshooting guide for the coils Sat morning, and all was good. They visually look undamaged. Checked the plugs (look like new, 20 hours, but a year old) and checked all connections.
    Took it to the lake Saturday morning and ran the crap out of it...... no issues, did a tournament Sunday and no issues.
    I returned the coil to the dealer today ($275!!), and bought a set of plugs.
    Maybe it was a bit of carbon stuck in a plug gap?

9. Member
    hope so