Can't get off plane on 2005 etec 225

Can't get off plane... think it's the prop (tempest)

So I recently bought a 2004 Triton TR21x with a 2005 Evinrude E-tec 225hp. The issue im having is if there is ANY additional weight in the boat (livewells filled, a heavier than 150lb person, or the water is choppy) i CANNOT get off plane and cruise. My motor sounds like it wants to but the boat just wont do it. Sometimes i will have that heavier set person lay on the bow and it comes down fine. When im by myself it hops right on plane and off to cruise. That additional weight is just a killer. Which defeats the whole purpose of me buying the boat because i am a tournament angler. I spoke with some friends and they said it could be because of my 3 blade prop that came with the boat and on it. it is a Mercury Tempest Plus part no: 48-825872, with a 24 pitch. I looked up that prop and it says it's meant for heavy bass boats? if it is, it doesnt seem like it.....

The seller also gave me a 13 1/2 25 pitch renegade 4 blade. Would
    This be better ?

any insight from anyone would be appreciated!

2. Member
    24p should be on plane quickly if motor running on all 6? what is prop to pad measurement? what is rpm's on take off motor fully tucked down and under?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    I had the same issue with my 98 Johnson Venom when I first got it. It came with a 3 blade Fury.
    I originally took it for a test run in early November when it was cool outside. It ran great.
    Fast forward to the following spring/summer and it wont get on plane. Had to take plugs out of the prop to let it breathe.
    Check to make sure engine is running on all 6 cylinders too. If it doesnt have the power, it will drag ass to get up on plane.
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn