power trim will not raise from helm or bow

motor:
    2016 Mercury four stroke 115
    model 1115F231D
    serial 2B229342

boat:
    2016 Tracker Pro Guide V-175 WT

I had a Lowrance unit installed in the off season and when I took the boat out for the first run this year my trim switches at the helm and bow will not raise the motor. Down trim works and up does not. The gauge reads full up all the time. The trim does work ok in both directions from the switch on the motor. I called my dealer who said I probably had a bad relay. I replaced both relays and it did not fix the issue. My boat is not heavily used, it is stored indoors at all times and the trim worked fine before I dropped it off for the install. The tech worked on the helm and the bow and now those switches do not work. Do you have any suggestions for things I can check?

pics attached

Thanks,
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

U shure you have power to the relays? Or better do you have power coming out of the switch no power might have a loose connection or a blown fuse.

3. Member
    If the motor switch works fine and the boat switches don’t the relays are not the problem. The trim switch wires from the helm and bow switches are run in parallel with the motor switch. Since the motor will trim down but not up the blue wire from the boat trim switches was probably disconnected when the graphs were being installed. I’d be looking around the gearshift area and under the console for the problem. The problem could also be where the boat side trim wiring connects to the motor but I think that would be a lot less likely.

4. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the wiring and switches.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While those helm and bow switches are "parallel" wired, they are isolated in that their wiring is in the Keyswitch Harness itself.

Likely that the blue w/white stripe wire is loose under the console somewhere. Trace wiring from control to keyswitch harness to check.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-12-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Spellin' Improvements

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm no electrician so I appreciate it.

7. Member
    Thank you to everyone who replied to this post. When I traced the wires I found a harness that was partially plugged in. Seating it and securing the retaining clips resolved my issue. Note the blue wire with white stripe that @EuropeanAM mentioned is clearly visible in the harness. (see pic attached)wiring harness.JPG

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor