Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Opinions On Firing My Doctor

A few days ago I posted here in the Lounge about my recent "minor" heart attack, or Non-ST elevated myocardial infraction. I'm home now and all is well. I have an appointment with my GP that I have gone to since 1980, to discuss the lack of care I received from my cardiologist during my last illness.

I have gone to this cardiologist for over 16 years now. He was my doctor for my stent that I got back in '03 and has seen me every six months since then. In all fairness, I feel like I probably owe my life to his care. I was in really bad shape when I started seeing him...365 pounds, edema, high Bp, and a 90% blockage. Now over 90 pounds lost (271) but still losing ...BP still too high but manageable and still improving.... edema much better (taking lasix)....and even though I had this cardiac event, it wasn't the widow maker it could have been if I hadn't had him cracking the whip on my the last 16 years. Although his haughty German Cardiologist style is off-putting (I've always thought he should be playing the SS officer in WWII movies), I consider him a very competent doctor.

All that said.... Here's my issue....with his staff and the management of his office. He runs a big cardiac clinic with all the testing equipment to do the treadmill stress tests and ultrasound scans and all that. The place is always packed with patients (it like the Apple Store in there)....he's the only doctor...he still uses paper files (mine looks like the Dallas phonebook)...paper files are stacked everywhere...I never see the same nurse or office staff twice...he hasn't hasn't had a PA in years...this past holiday season when I had probably in too much salty food, my BP shot up very high. I called the office to get a message to the doctor to see if I should increase my medication or what....no return call....day or two later I call again...no return call....I finally get emphatic with the person answering the phone that I at least needed to speak to the nurse and would hold as long as it took...she gets on the phone and tells me she never got a message to call me...they're still doing paper messages there! When I complained to the doc about that, he said something like, "Oh you can't leave a message around here...you just need to come on in and we'll get you in".

All my other doctors are on a system where they can see all the meds you take and what all the other docs you see are saying...if you need to send a message to the nurse or doctor, you just type it in and they always get back in a timely manner. This system also allows making or changing appointment and requesting refills etc. I love it. He's not on that system which is a hassle.

That's just the back story: now this past Sunday when I'm in the ER they tell me they put in a call to my cardiologist and we should be hearing from him shortly...never a word. The on staff ER doctor made the determination to keep me overnight based on my increased heart enzymes test. They tell me that my doctor will be by to see me the next morning. Since his clinic is only a block south of the hospital I was sitting in I thought I'd see him early and get the testing done and maybe get home later that day. Long story short we NEVER even got a call back. The nurse told me she had put in a second call (that morning) but hadn't heard back. I told her that his staff wasn't the best at relaying or returning messages. In a moment of unprofessional candor she agreed and even elaborated a bit. Throughout the day I would overhear disparaging comments about my cardiologist, referring to him as the "late doctor" and eye rolls from the hospital staff about his nonappearance for my and another heart patent on the floor. Finally, around mid-afternoon the decision was made that my guy was a no show and they brought in another cardiologist that was in the hospital. All he had to do was prescribe what everyone from myself to the nurses knew was going to happen...."Let's send him down to the cath lab and see whats going on"? So that got me down for the angiogram at 6pm which means back to the room at something like 9 or 10 and another night on the meter. NPO this whole time, over 24 hours.

To this day, there has been no communication from my regular cardiologist. Which, I find it insulting to be honest. There was never any comment about him being on vacation or out of town...just too busy to bother with a patient who had seen him for 16 years.

My regular GP's office called the day I got home, to see how I was doing and suggest I come in to see him which I am going to do tomorrow.

What does the BBC Lounge braintrust feel about this? Should I change horses right in the middle of the heart attack stream or should I stick with the guy. I do have the advantage of my regular GP doc who is an icon in the medical field here in OKC and we almost approaching personal friend status...I have no doubt that he will be shocked at my story and advise me correctly.

Oh, sorry for the long stream of consciousness rant.
    Last edited by SoonerFan; 07-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    I'd find a new one

3. Banned
    I would get a new one, doesnt sound like they would even know you did. You only get 1 shot at this.

4. Member
    Time to move on..

I'd definitley being looking for a new doc.

6. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Personally, I am gone from there. Complete lack of concern on their part.

When my father was in the hospital his cardiologist stopped by every day if not multiple times to check in with us (father was unconscious the whole time). Showed there was some concern for him.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

I’m not saying you don’t get this but some people don’t; he’s your employee.

Would you continue to pay the guy that cuts your grass if you were treated the same way?

I doubt that you would.

Move on. My longtime dentist of over 30 years, his office started going to crap mis-scheduling appointments, etc. It was time to find a new dentist and I absolutely made the right call. Really like my new one. Mine was only a dentist issue, nothing compared to yours, but you deserve better care than that.

9. Banned
    Grass ain’t always greener. If they can’t handle messages properly, doubtful they’d get your files transferred.

10. Member
    Time to find a new cardiologist. I would send him a letter, since he likes paper and his staff is useless at passing along messages, explaining to him that you are leaving and why. I might also consider sending him a bill, tongue in cheek, for the extra nights hospital stay.

11. Member
    Move on, and ask around on who others are using, and are they happy with their Doc.

12. Member
    Find a new cardiologist.

I'm glad to see you guys agree with me and everyone else I've told about this. I'm sure when I see Dr. Hirsch in the morning he'll get me with someone a little more in tune with my needs, shall we say.

I've never really fired a doctor before...I mean where I call them and say send my records to some other doctor. I've had a number of dentists and dermatologist (psoriasis) that I went to for a few times and then just never went back. Been going to current dermatologist for 15 years now so when I find someone I like, I like to stick with them.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    I’m not saying you don’t get this but some people don’t; he’s your employee.

Would you continue to pay the guy that cuts your grass if you were treated the same way?

I doubt that you would.
    for some reason, people have the hardest time figuring this out when it comes to a "professional" service like a Dr., Lawyer, CPA, etc...

If you wouldn't continue going to a local restaurant that you got reliably crummy service at, or wouldn't give a car/boat dealership a second chance after the first screwup, why in God's name does everyone feel they need to continue putting themselves in the same situation with their health on the line.

I switched GP's last year after they cut another half-day off of their open office hours. Their 3.5 day a week schedule had me going to the local (well-run) after-hours clinics for most minor illnesses. when I had concerns with my continued blood pressure elevation, I called my GP, and asked to schedule an appointment. They told me I wasn't in their system anymore, and that it had been over 3 years since I had visited. (I don't get sick a lot).

At that point, they told me I could get on his schedule for 6 weeks from that day.

I found a new GP that afternoon. One that is closer to my work, with extended early morning hours, affiliated with the after hours clinics I had been seeing anyway, and I don't feel like I'm going to get sicker than I already am just by sitting in their damn waiting room.

After hearing stories from members on here about their doctors, plumbers, electricians, concrete guys, mechanics, I feel very fortunate. My regular dr. And I grew up together, he retired and I went through a few before I found the right one. My cardiologist was just starting his practice in 1994 when I had my heart attacks. He is now the head of the cardiologist department for CHI Allegent.
    I’m still his patient, I just saw him Monday, going to see him again in Nov. for a stress test and echo cardio.

As bassslayer said. They probably wouldn't even know you found a new dr. Get a new dr is my vote

17. Member
    Been there, done that.. time for a new doctor.

18. U.S. Air Force Retired Alinal's Avatar
    Move on. If he hasn't had a PA or Resident in years, then the technology has probably moved past him. And it sounds like the technology has definitely moved past his administrative staff. As, others have said, ask around to see if there's another cardiologist that people recommend. There's also websites where people rate Doctors. Good luck.
    2017 Ranger Z518
    2017 Mercury 150 Opti ProXS
    Maxxum 80#
    Humminbird Helix(s)

19. Member
    Many doctors are great, but office staff sucks. To be cared for properly you need both great doc and great staff. Get one that you believe has both and let the other doc know why you are leaving due to poor office staff and lack of concern.
    Praying for a Cure

20. Member
    If you've lost confidences in the doctor and/or his staff it's time to leave IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast