25 hp four stroke oil level

I’m looking at a small boat to use for duck hunting that has a 2008 25 hp four stroke efi engine on it. When I went to look at it, it was tilted up on a motor carrier. We lowered it down and took the cowling off to check the oil level. When we pulled the dipstick out oil poured out of the tube. It appeared to be clean and didn’t look to be contaminated with water and did not have a gas odor at all. I’m wondering if it is possible that the oil had been trapped in the upper part of the engine and was draining back into the pan after we lowered it down to check it. I don’t know if this is possible or not. We ran the engine for a while and rechecked the oil and it was fine. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen before.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the Top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Massively overful. Oil level should be between 1/4 and 1/3 on the stick.

I would want to know "why" it was so over-ful before I considered purchasing it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have the same motor and use it for duck hunting as well . They are very reliable motors . They start so easy no matter how cold it gets . They also sip the fuel . The prop shafts can’t take a beating though as us duck hunters are real tuff on motors .