Water pipes shake and bang inside the walls when sprinklers turn off.

Ok I’m wondering if there is some kind of check valve that would maintain the water pressure inside the lines that run through the walls of my two story home. Or is there a way to adjust the sprinklers so that they don’t make such a drop in pressure that causes the pipes to bang on the walls every time the pressure spikes back up after the sprinklers turn off. My concern is that some day the pipes my rupture and cause a big expen$ive problem.

I have all copper pipes except for a few shark bite unions and Pex I used to repair some leaking hot water joints.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    You are correct on the damage issue...the sound you are hearing comes from regular to low pressure do to demand...then high regular pressure after the demand is over...google plumbing pipe banging....plumbing pipe thumping/knocking...you will find lots of information on the web...there are devices to fix this problem that look like an upside down test tube made from copper...you will see this on line when you google it...hope this helps!

Thank you edw. I posted on another forum and got a lot of replies. The term is water hammer. I have reduced my main water pressure from the main cut off out by the street side sidewalk then closed down the valve to further reduce the water pressure at the line that goes into the house just past the sprinklers. Here is a poor video of what the system I am working with looks like.

I will eventually most likely add a backflow preventer between the sprinklers and house supply to keep the house water pressure even to eliminate the water hammering I have been experiencing.

Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 07-13-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

4. Member
    Yes water hammer is the correct term...we use to have to install them on every home we built at the washing machine and at the huge soaking tubs with fast flow fillers ...now washing machines are so low gallon...that seems to have fixed the water hammer there...but codes are behind the times and we still have to install the water hammer preventive at the washing machine water source her in NE.Ga...as far as a back-flow prevention for the irrigation system...wow! I would have though that there should have been one there to prevent sprinkler line water from ever entering into your drinking water...That's a strange one in itself! Best of luck sir...definitely install the back-flow asap....