Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Now that I repowered with a new SHO it will be my 1993 BassCat PII.

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I retired 3 years ago with my current boat a 520 vx.

Dale Sinclair original

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    No plans to retire, so yeah... last boat could be a Viking Funeral (you beat me to it, Lew ).
    Who controls John Gill?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    No plans to retire, so yeah... last boat could be a Viking Funeral (you beat me to it, Lew ).

I'm going Hindu so the boat is only going to be used to get my body somewhere someone won't notice it, probably a campsite so nobody notices the ashes... So You can use it when I'm "done"...

So I present to You (the "other me"...) A song written by a Jew about Christianity that even an Atheist would Love... (Can't be them ALL if You're just 1...)

5. Member
    Retired in 2014. Bought RangerRT188 and Ram 1500 ecodiesel 2015. Very happy
    truckboat (1700 x 1275).jpg

6. Member
    I bought a RT178 for a retirement boat and so far I has filled my needs in mostly southern waters. In northern bigger water I could use a little more boat but still go out on decent days.

My 89 Champion and 84 Grumman. They move, they float, they work, and they’ve been paid for. Since.....well....89 and 84. I’m just an old guy living in the past, though.

8. Member
    I’ve got like 15 years to go before retirement but as of right now, I don’t see a reason to get rid of my Z119c. If you ask me in 5 years, I might have a different answer for you but it does everything I want and or need.

The one I have now.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Dogfish_Jones
    I'll retire in 2 years and hopefully never have a need for another boat. I have a 2015 Nitro Z7 and it is everything I need to enjoy on the water. I'm more concerned if my 2006 Ford truck will last me for another 25+ years? I usually never just do an upgrade on my bigger purchases. I do them when there is no other option but to buy again. I enjoy not having a monthly payments. I only have one more year on my boat and then I am free and clear of everything I own...including my house. I wasn't rich enough like most here to pay cash for mine.

11. Member
    I plan on keeping my tin boat probably forever with just a few updates. My glass boat will be a Bass Cat Caracal and will get one with about 3 years on it as I did by Pantera IV. That will happen in about 5-6 years.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

12. Member
    565 days to go, got a 2003 Ranger 521VX with a 2013 250 ProXS that will be sitting on a newly built dock at lake Gaston.

Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    ...I see guys at camp who have retired and what they did. Most have downsized their boats simply because of economics. They can't afford to buy,run and maintain larger glass boats. Some have gone to lighter but deeper tin boats. A couple guys purchased those spring wave seats because of severe back or neck issues. Others have gone to deeper tin boats due to knee or hip issues.

The economics are key. I retired at the age of 62 and the first summer I fished a lot 5 days per week mostly (Monday-Friday). I run up a healthy Fuel and oil bill every year. So can you afford a large boat? Is it better to run a tin boat with a 60 or 90 HP engine to keep fuel costs inline with a fixed income? The other issue is will you fish alone more. Fishing buddy's still work and the wife may not want to go out so much. So some go with a tin boat that they can tie up to the dock without fear when they fish alone.
    Exactly the thought process I've been going through as I look down the road. Pushing a heavy boat around the garage, feeding gas to a high performance motor, my fishing style as I grow older, towing with a smaller, more efficient vehicle... all point me towards considering a smaller, lighter, more efficient rig in my later years.
    Sure would miss the ride of glass if the decision is to go back to an aluminum hull.

Bottom line, my last rig will be paid for free and clear... that's is the biggest determination of what will be sitting in the garage when my funeral pyre is set adrift.

14. Member
    Retired 3 years ago with a 1991 Astro 20FDX in great shape with a 2013 Evinrude 200HO. Will keep her until she (or I) are no longer able to fish. If I were to get a second boat, It'll be a Vexus 1880 or 1980.

I retired 9 years ago, still have my 496 Charger. I keep saying I’m going to downsize. An 18 ft with a 175 4 stroke would fill my needs. Most the lakes I fish are no-wake, but I would still like to have the ponies the few times I fish bigger water.

Tin would be nice, I would miss the ride of glass

16. Member
    I'm 59 and will be retiring in the next few years. Plan on getting rid of my '89 Stratos and ordering a Phoenix 721 later this year. I maintain and keep my stuff for a long time.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    I'm never slowing down... 2018 Bullet 21XRS is my last boat... Says the wife... Dan
    Every boat I've ever owned has been my "last," according to the Mrs. And dogs, too.
    We're still here.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

I sold my Ranger 521 C and bought a Pathfinder 2300HPS. Much easier to get around and fish out of. Will be definitely my “last boat”.

My “big” boat is a ‘98 Triton TR-18 and I’ve been thinking of buying my last boat too. I’ve been seriously looking at an Excel Bay Pro 183 with a 115 SHO. I’ve got a deal worked with the closest dealer and a note secured (even though I could pay cash).

But, at $31k it would be the most expensive vehicle we’ve ever bought. I can afford it no problem I just don’t know that I can justify the money. I’ve been fighting myself for two weeks

20. Member
    There might be an aluminum deep-V fishing boat on the horizon when I retire and get older, just from a safety perspective. Higher sides, lighter...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast