Buying from distant dealer

I have no local Phoenix dealers and the bigger dealers are roughly 6 plus hours away. That said, how many of you done a deal essentially over the phone and also how did they handle your trade (did they give u a range and then come with a final trade number once they could see it in person?). Usually over the phone a dealer won’t give u out the door realistic pricing so I feel like if they give me that kind of higher price and I agree to drive 6 hours obviously they know they have me at that price so no reason for them to negotiate. Not much leverage it seems to be assured a reasonable deal? Any experience or thoughts on this?

Also, someone once said the Phoenix plant sometimes ships boats direct to customers? Any truth there?

2. Member
    Bought my Bird last weekend. Traded in a skeeter. Sent detailed pics to dealer and we agreed on a price over the phone. When I arrived they checked out my engine and test drove my boat. Very good transaction and the people @ Wedowee Marine was excellent to work with. Was there about 1.5 hours and back on the road. The dealer was 2 hours away. Don't know about direct ship.

3. Member
    When I was shopping for a new phoenix the two dealers I contacted supplied me with the total bottom line out the door price and info for financing and registration.
    If your in NY, Contact Renyolds Marine and ask for Bryan. They are great guys there and will take care of you. I ended up buying a used phoenix but my next one will be new from them.
    Good luck

I drove 4.5 hours for my bird. I did have a trade in but listed it $1,000 higher than the trade in price and it sold locally in 2 weeks.

5. Member
    I drove 7 hours to look at a boat. You are correct that they know they have the leverage at that point. If you walk out the door, and drive back a second time to look at it, the price probably is staying the same... Get to the price you want to pay before making the drive.

6. Member
    I order my new Phoenix in December so I can comment on this. I called no joke 8 Phoenix dealers, all within 500 miles of me. As far as my trade, I traded in a 2017 Ranger Z519C. I sent them probably 15 pictures, the build order when I had it built, smart craft output, ect. They all gave me trade numbers and new build numbers. Some were very easy to negotiate with, others not so much. That trade in number with all dealers was agreed upon as long as the boat was in the same condition as the pictures and no issues. I ended up picking the dealer that was 3 hours away from me, not because of distance though. It was because he would call, e-mail, and text back right away with any questions I had about my new build. He would even ask me how I fish, where I fish, told me what options he recommends, which he doesn't, ect. He did an excellent job and I had no issues buying a boat from a dealer I have never been to. I did buy my last Ranger from a dealer 12 hours away. Same situation, you will know when you have a good dealer by their communication, willingness to accommodate, and go out of their way to help. We are spending $70,000 so you would think all dealers would be just like this, unfortunately it's not the case.

A very well deserved props to Jeff at Lake Drive Marine where I bought my first Phoenix from.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

7. Member
    I drove 10 hours to pick up my Phoenix in 2013 from Rich Young at Wieda's Marine. Great guy to deal with! He emailed with me and spoke on the phone numerous times to answer all my questions. He has a ton of knowledge about Phoenix boats and bass boats in general. Price on the Phoenix was agreed on before I left home.

Sent him pictures of my boat I was trading as well as a listing of everything on it. Trade in price was given before I left home and stayed the same when I signed the paperwork.They tested the motor when I got there, we signed the paperwork, and I was on my way back home. Great buying experience and Rich would be my first call if I get another Phoenix.
    2013 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    When I was shopping for a new phoenix the two dealers I contacted supplied me with the total bottom line out the door price and info for financing and registration.
    If your in NY, Contact Renyolds Marine and ask for Bryan. They are great guys there and will take care of you. I ended up buying a used phoenix but my next one will be new from them.
    Good luck
    That's where I'm picking up my new 21 PHX tomorrow. I've been dealing with Tom one of the owners, but he's away and I'm meeting Bryan tomorrow. Really a nice group of helpful upfront guys.

I did my entire deal over the phone with a trade in. Call Kenneth at Freedom Marine in Guntersville. I know he's delivered some boats as far as the west coast. Im sure it cost but its a convenience

10. Member
    The dealer I bought from is closer than 6 hrs from you, but he's in Canada. He has sold a number of boats in the States. The trade-in might be a challenge though. Dealership name is Pirate Cove and their number is 613 258 2325. Moe is who I dealt with. They were and still are outstanding to deal with.

Ed

11. Scraps
    I bought mine from a dealer 8hrs away. I had an unattractive trade, Ranger 461 with a 175 Ficht on the back. I had a local Skeeter dealer that would take it, the Ranger dealer I bought from that also sells Phoenix wanted me to sell on consignment and another dealer that would take the trade. All were within $500 of each other on the trade. Then the two Phoenix dealers I got prices from, one, Wieda's, really knew the boats and had good prices. The other, closer, sales guy didn't even know how to price brakes on the second axle. So I wasn't buying there. I've since learned that that dealer is in fact decent.

My experience, the only hassle was making the 16hr round trip. Rest of the transaction was really easy.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Fishwhisperer Thefisherman64's Avatar
    I was one from the first few years (2009) We ordered ours at the plant. They delivered it to the closest dealer to us at the time. 10 hrs. It was ordered to our colors and we felt directly with Gary. The dealer was great as well. 10 years and still just as happy as the day it was delivered.
    Jeff, and Rheba Johnson
    AND COOPER
    2009 BEE LINE 294 by Phoenix
    2009 150 MERC OPTIMAX

13. Member
    I drove 13 hours or so to see john webb at marine works. Check him when you're shopping around he has great prices

14. Member
    I live in south Florida and bought my Phoenix from Weida's marine. Sean, Adam and the whole crew in the shop were awesome to work with and continue to help me anytime I have any questions. I highly recommend them. Tried to work with a dealer in Florida but they were very helpful.

15. Member
    I drove 12 hrs to Weida's Marine in Kentucky from NY to get my boat. If you need parts just call the dealer up and they can send them to you. Just make sure you have a dealer near by that services the outboard you get.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbasser 52 View Post
    I live in south Florida and bought my Phoenix from Weida's marine. Sean, Adam and the whole crew in the shop were awesome to work with and continue to help me anytime I have any questions. I highly recommend them. Tried to work with a dealer in Florida but they were very helpful.
    Yup , Sean is a good guy and knows how to fish too

17. Member
    the only bad thing about driving a long way to get service the dealers will generally put you behind the folks that buy the boats from them.

18. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    I order my new Phoenix in December so I can comment on this. I called no joke 8 Phoenix dealers, all within 500 miles of me. As far as my trade, I traded in a 2017 Ranger Z519C. I sent them probably 15 pictures, the build order when I had it built, smart craft output, ect. They all gave me trade numbers and new build numbers. Some were very easy to negotiate with, others not so much. That trade in number with all dealers was agreed upon as long as the boat was in the same condition as the pictures and no issues. I ended up picking the dealer that was 3 hours away from me, not because of distance though. It was because he would call, e-mail, and text back right away with any questions I had about my new build. He would even ask me how I fish, where I fish, told me what options he recommends, which he doesn't, ect. He did an excellent job and I had no issues buying a boat from a dealer I have never been to. I did buy my last Ranger from a dealer 12 hours away. Same situation, you will know when you have a good dealer by their communication, willingness to accommodate, and go out of their way to help. We are spending $70,000 so you would think all dealers would be just like this, unfortunately it's not the case.

A very well deserved props to Jeff at Lake Drive Marine where I bought my first Phoenix from.
    +1 on Jeff and the Lake Drive team! They are worth the 2 hour drive I make to go there.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    the only bad thing about driving a long way to get service the dealers will generally put you behind the folks that buy the boats from them.
    Well if you want to be first in line I'm sure a extra $100 spot will bring you to the front quick