Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dentpusher View Post
    Here is what I found on my diaphragms. I think they could use replacing (these photos are after they dried out some too, they were worse).

I may not wrench on this stuff every day but I have a couple years of mechanical engineering schooling

FYI, those are gaskets for the side plates on the intake manifold and the carb bodies, not diaphragms.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

2. Member
    Finally had to take it in to a mechanic. Frustrated with issue. It was a plug wire.... it would start arcing when under load evidently. I had initially noticed that cylinder had no spark, pulled wire to check resistance and it must have completed the circuit:"good enough " again to not misfire not loaded down. In fact, the mechanic put spark checker on it and everything looked great until he did a balanced cylinder test which I did too but while the boat was in the water so I couldn't see it arcing when the wire was disconnected. $100 diag fee + $50 tip for squeezing me in and we're on the water like normal. Hope it helps you. My stator still reads low but it's charging and running fine. My sneeze is still there.

3. Member
    First think i check when the engine is sneezing it make sure its reaching operating temp. If you have an overcooling problem it can cause that, along with a lot of other things but thats were i start.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dentpusher View Post
    Finally had to take it in to a mechanic. Frustrated with issue. It was a plug wire.... it would start arcing when under load evidently. I had initially noticed that cylinder had no spark, pulled wire to check resistance and it must have completed the circuit:"good enough " again to not misfire not loaded down. In fact, the mechanic put spark checker on it and everything looked great until he did a balanced cylinder test which I did too but while the boat was in the water so I couldn't see it arcing when the wire was disconnected. $100 diag fee + $50 tip for squeezing me in and we're on the water like normal. Hope it helps you. My stator still reads low but it's charging and running fine. My sneeze is still there.
    What did you do with the timer base and stator you had on order?

5. Member
    Still have it. I may go ahead and throw them on. Then again, they are still sealed in boxes so I may return.

6. Member
    Update
    I swapped out the timer base today and when I had the flywheel off and inspecting everything I noticed a couple of the windings on the stator were blackened and not shiny copper like they should be.
    Plus they werent connected solidly to the stator frame like the others. That sounds bad to me.
    I did get it started after putting everything back together but did not run it long enough to blacken the spark plug on the cylinder that I was having problems on.
    What kind of problem would the bad coil blocks on the stator cause?
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12