Adjusting manual jackplate

I want to adjust my jackplate some, I just want to confirm it isnt much more than marking the original position, loosening the six bolts from the inside of the jackplate(brass bolts) and tightening or loosening the center adjusting bolt. Also, is their a recommended torque spec when tightening.
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Is it a Z-lock? Good luck.
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    z-lock?

loosen the nuts inside the plate a few turns

loosen the bolts

adjust up/down, you may have to wiggle the whole motor, a little, or a LOT, to get the plate to slide down, if that's the direction you want to go

tighten the bolts, yes the bolts are threaded into the inside plate section

tighten the nuts.

test

do again, and again, and again, or get a hydraulic plate and do it once. Then experiment now and then.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    As txbass1 said good luck!

A couple of things I learned on the z-lock. Yes there are brass nuts on the inside, however the bolts are actually threaded into the inner portion of the jackplate. I learned that and then confirmed it a while back when a bolt broke.

My recommendation is to loosen the nuts and then the bolts to allow it to move.

On my 721, I put a block of wood under the skeg and tilted down on it to take a bit of weight off of the plate, then I was able adjust it. Then tighten the bolts, followed by the nuts.

As to torque specs, I found nothing.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

5. Member
    I broke two adjusting bolts trying to dial mine in after I bought it and finally gave up. Bought a Bob's and the Z-lock is sitting in the floor of my storage two years later. Can't bring myself to sell it to anyone with a clear conscience.
    2014 920/SHO

6. Member
    thanks for all of the input. I think i'll leave it alone till the end of the season incase something goes wrong.

7. Member
    Shoot me a pm with your addy and I'll mail you the top adjusting bolt #3 that was replaced by THM that I never installed. Least I can do. It took em a week or more to replace the first two- maybe I can save you some downtime and frustration.
    2014 920/SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Shoot me a pm with your addy and I'll mail you the top adjusting bolt #3 that was replaced by THM that I never installed. Least I can do. It took em a week or more to replace the first two- maybe I can save you some downtime and frustration.
    Thanks