Yamaha hpdi needs to be Rev’d to start on first start of day.

If I don’t hit the hot foot a little she won’t turn over. After I get her going she’s good for the rest of the day to start whenever. Any thoughts as to why ?

2. Member
    when you say turnover do you mean it does nothing or cranks and
    won't start?
    I'd check the yamaha motor form and post there also.

3. Member
    Try changing fuel bulb? Or make sure have motor trimmed down more? If those dont help it could be the low pressure fuel pumps. About $40 each.

4. Member
    I think cranks but doesn’t turn over . Would the low pressure fuel bulb work later in the day if that was the case . Thanks again guys.

5. Member
    Could be a few things,without hooking it up and diagnosing it it's just shooting in the dark.Temp sensor, throttle position fuel pressure test etc.

6. Member
    Do you prime the bulb before launching ?

7. Member
    Always do. Drove it last night. First start didn’t turn over. Tried again and held the start button till it finally sounded like she was gonna turn over and she did without reving

8. Member
    Probably low pressure pumps.

9. Member
    fuel filter,spark plugs but i would take it in get it hooked up to diag machine. dont want to be on the water when the real issue shows itself. I think motors give us hints as to somethings wrong and if we dont listen to those hints we get stranded ya know. good luck

I had a 2006 HPDI that did the same thing. Tried everything including installing a Holley fuel pump in the bilge. Nothing worked.
    Best thing ever is when a drunk driver hit me and totaled the boat. My SHO runs great and starts every time
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

11. Member
    Hahahah! I’ve put too much sweat into this thing

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Do you prime the bulb before launching ?
    I have a 250 HPDI 2004 model and my mechanic told me there is no need to pump the bulb. He said that could flood it with gas. So not pumping the bulb would not be the issue here. Linkages may need adjusting.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    I have a 250 HPDI 2004 model and my mechanic told me there is no need to pump the bulb. He said that could flood it with gas. So not pumping the bulb would not be the issue here. Linkages may need adjusting.
    If that was the case why would they bother installing a "primer" bulb on the fuel line?
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    unless you have a leaking fuel injector i don't see how you would ever flood a
    hpdi motor by pumping the bulb,in that case the bulb pumping is not the problem,
    would be the leaking injector issue.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    If that was the case why would they bother installing a "primer" bulb on the fuel line?
    All I can tell you is that pumping the bulb is not needed on a HPDI engine per my mechanic. I have had my HPDI for 14 years and have not once needed to pump the bulb. On the old EFI engines yes but not on a HPDI. I am no mechanic so I am only relaying what I was told by a very good mechanic.

16. Member
    Engine has been starting without reving the engine. But that brings up a good question of needing to pump or not pump?!

The only time you would need to use the primer bulb is on initial start up, changing filters or low pressure pumps. Low pressure pumps draw fuel from the tank once primed. No need to mess with the primer bulb once primed. If your using the primer bulb every time to get your motor started your low pressure pumps are probably bad.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Member
    No just pumping the initial first start of the day. After that the rest of the day she’s good. Unless you mean the initial pump of the season.

19. Member
    One thing I was told is to not have your exhaust port ( the one on the backside of the motor in the center) under water when starting. So if your boat sits low in the rear tilt the motor up or raise your hydraulic jackplate and try cranking. Hope this helps.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    HB Solix
    HB M360
    Garmin LiveView
    MinnKota Ultrex

20. Member
    I’ll give that a shot! ^