Thread: Climate change

Climate change

Over the past 12 months I have seen Senior Enlisted and Officers alike relieved or fired and
    some of which when I read the published details of why I’m left scratching my head. I know it’s two sides to a
    story but rarely we get to hear the other side. What are your thoughts?

Keep in mind I retired 6 years ago...and came in well before 9/11...but my personal opinion is that we've become too "politically correct." Instead of focusing on our nation's defense and becoming the most feared military on God's green earth, we focus on a bunch of feel good social welfare programs and we're afraid to hurt someone's feelings. Once someone feels slighted they complain that there's a toxic work environment, or that their commander's insensitive to their "whatever"...and that commander/senior leader is removed by someone itching to show that they're ready to make the next grade. We eat our own as opposed to asking the hard questions, like, WTF does that have to do with being able to shoot, move, and communicate?
    Just my .02 cents.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    I hear something similar from those who have retired that I know
    some even say that’s the reason why they retired. I understand your point

It's funny, I used to laugh at the "old timers" when I was a young Soldier that said they were happy they were retired/retiring when they did because we were going to hell...now, some thirty years later...I wonder what I'm doing in this handbasket. There are definitely challenges to leadership we didn't have when I was younger. I spent a lot of time deployed to South and Central America before cell phones and the internet. You left home...and left it at home, because you had no means to re-connect (besides the occasional phone call). Now a Soldier deploys and is connected via skype, the inner-webz, cell phones, social media etc and instead of trying to focus on the mission at hand...he also has to listen to momma complain about the kids, the leaking faucet, the insurance bill, the dishwasher that doesn't drain, what's going on with the in-laws, the squirrels on the roof, etc, etc, etc.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    It's funny, I used to laugh at the "old timers" when I was a young Soldier that said they were happy they were retired/retiring when they did because we were going to hell...now, some thirty years later...I wonder what I'm doing in this handbasket. There are definitely challenges to leadership we didn't have when I was younger. I spent a lot of time deployed to South and Central America before cell phones and the internet. You left home...and left it at home, because you had no means to re-connect (besides the occasional phone call). Now a Soldier deploys and is connected via skype, the inner-webz, cell phones, social media etc and instead of trying to focus on the mission at hand...he also has to listen to momma complain about the kids, the leaking faucet, the insurance bill, the dishwasher that doesn't drain, what's going on with the in-laws, the squirrels on the roof, etc, etc, etc.

Valid point
    one that we often joke about.
    When we deployed there was letters and when the bird came in we hoped it had mail.
    Now if the internet goes down people are likely to jump over the side of the ship.
    I wonder if our adversaries see the same in their younger generation?