Lake Michigan Smallmouth

Went out yesterday to fish smallmouth in Lake Michigan. Launched out of 95th at daybreak, Hammond is within site. Lake was almost dead calm to start and then just a light breeze after that. Coming off 6 foot waves over the weekend so a big change. Worked the breakwalls with deep diving crankbaits. Caught a total of 6 smallmouth and 1 rock bass in the 3 hours we fished. Nothing bigger than 2 1/2 pounds but lots of fun. Water clarity is amazing and you can see the bottom in 10 foot of water.

2. Member
    Not a bad day, my guess is that it shut off at 8;30? Which walls did you fish? Did you try the rock bank just north of the ramp? Did you have to pay the $20 ramp fee ? I have been told by a few they are not really ticketing.

3. Member
    We went out last Saturday from Alsip. Intended to fish Hammond and Gary. Ran down there and got the shit kicked out of us. Scouted a couple spots on the graph, and made the run back. My body still hurts from the beating we took.....
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

4. Member
    Hogie, I downsized my Ranger to an 18.5 . I start at 95th . If the water is calm I head out otherwise I'm inside the brekwall. I have big $$$ in electronics and I'm not spearing a wave and loosing my electronics.

5. Member
    Parking was $27. Had 2 of Chicago finest parked at the ramp. We would have paid anyway with the ticket more than that. There was only one other boat out while we were there. We fished all kinds of structure. Our best stretch was just south of the channel by the restricted area. Caught several out by the hole in the breakwall, was a tower on each side.

Probably going out of Chicago next time, my partner has a parking pass for all the harbors.

$27 ramp fee? Is that valet parking? Were the officers there to provide security for your truck/trailer or for you? So many questions.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    Chicago clearly doesn't want bass fisherman fishing on their lakefront. $27 to park your boat is simply the city saying stay away. Of course the the riverside bars are taking fully advantage of this by charging $20 to park. Thats insane !!

8. Member
    We were the only boat there that day. I talked to guys for a few minutes and they were getting ready to get off shift. Seemed to be nice guys and I bet they were just watching the sun come up. Was nice to see their presence but once they left the truck and trailer were there for anyone to mess with. Felt safe being there but went through some rough areas to get there. Need to put the receipt on your dash to show you paid. They only take credit cards to pay. Tickets are way more than the $27 so not worth the risk. My fishing partner works at a marina and has a parking pass for all the other marinas like Montrose, Burnham, Belmont etc.

Why launch at 95th street at all? Launch at Hammond. $20 and you don't have to worry about your vehicle. Fill up the gas tank while you're there.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon