Wekiva River Nuked

Took tin boat out to the Little Wekiva last week and couldn't believe what I saw. The chemical boats actually sprayed every little hyacinth patch there was from the mouth of the Little Wekiva all the way up the river to about where Ibis Rd runs into the wekiva -3 miles of difficult to navigate water. I have almost gotten numb to their spraying destruction in the big lakes that I fish all over Central Florida, but this was a new low for me. I grew up on this river and would have never imagined to see so much dying and death on one of the most protected rivers in the state.

Then today I drove over the Wekiva River SR 46 bridge and looked over at the usual slice of Heaven on earth only to look upon Hell itself! THEY sprayed the entire Wekiva flats south of the bridge and it is unbelievable devastation. For as long as I can remember (1980's) there was nothing but green lily pads, dollar bonnets, eel grass, and yes a lot of hyacinths covering this large flat - a vintage Florida post card scene. All I can say is check it out for yourself because I honestly can't describe what it looks like now in order to put it into perspective. This is one of the most protected rivers in the state and if THEY can put this much chemical in the that river, then I am afraid that there is nothing that can be done anywhere.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    Took tin boat out to the Little Wekiva last week and couldn't believe what I saw. The chemical boats actually sprayed every little hyacinth patch there was from the mouth of the Little Wekiva all the way up the river to about where Ibis Rd runs into the wekiva -3 miles of difficult to navigate water. I have almost gotten numb to their spraying destruction in the big lakes that I fish all over Central Florida, but this was a new low for me. I grew up on this river and would have never imagined to see so much dying and death on one of the most protected rivers in the state.

Then today I drove over the Wekiva River SR 46 bridge and looked over at the usual slice of Heaven on earth only to look upon Hell itself! THEY sprayed the entire Wekiva flats south of the bridge and it is unbelievable devastation. For as long as I can remember (1980's) there was nothing but green lily pads, dollar bonnets, eel grass, and yes a lot of hyacinths covering this large flat - a vintage Florida post card scene. All I can say is check it out for yourself because I honestly can't describe what it looks like now in order to put it into perspective. This is one of the most protected rivers in the state and if THEY can put this much chemical in the that river, then I am afraid that there is nothing that can be done anywhere.
    It's been out of control for quite some time, they are running out of the easy stuff to nuke so now they hitting the tough spots. If possible take a video and post it, that way people who are not out there on the waters can see whats going on, just us few knowing is not putting enough pressure on them to change.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    It's been out of control for quite some time, they are running out of the easy stuff to nuke so now they hitting the tough spots. If possible take a video and post it, that way people who are not out there on the waters can see whats going on, just us few knowing is not putting enough pressure on them to change.
    I took this pic of the Little Wekiva a week ago and didn't want to post it because as awful as it looks, it is no way comparable to what the Wekiva flats looks like off the SR46 bridge. The flats is a whole different picture by a magnitude of 1,000X. I was not able to get a picture of it yet.
    IMG_7404.JPG

4. Member
    I shared on my FB Page the Video of Kissimmee done with the Drone of them Spraying and what it looked like after.

Not One Person Shared it, NOT ONE!

Yet someone post about a person shooting a Lion or whatever and it's katie bar the door for the Rage that will follow. I don't think most folks living here really understand what is happening. They simply do not spend time out on the waters to see it.

5. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Not One Person Shared it, NOT ONE!
    Same thing on Twitter.. Reply to a FWC post about them nuking/muddying the waters and nobody cares.. 200+ views, 0 likes or retweets..

6. Member
    Horrible to hear. Unfortunately, I do not get onto most social media. I assume many of the guys on here are the same way. I do have an instagram, but really just look at fish pictures. I would like, re-like, whatever on these post as described. Hell, I would protest if asked in regards to the FWC.

7. Banned
    You can send that pic to whomever will be running for a political™ job in that area, and if they're just getting started better chance of them latching on.

e.g. TooFar <--- This group deals with water/water quality in Citrus County

8. Member
    You guys need to follow scott wilson on facebook. He is all over them with pictures and videos. He also lambasted them at the meetings. Their is a large voice on facebook against the fwc. They literally can't even make a post on facebook about anything without getting 200 replies calling for their heads. It's all we can do until people decide to take it another step....the one that cant be talked about.

9. Member
    I looked on FB for Scot Wilson and there is a bunch of them on there. Is the one you are talking about a councilman for district 4 in Jacksonville? I looked on his FB site and didn't see anything about FWC and spraying, but this may not be the right Scott Wilson.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I looked on FB for Scot Wilson and there is a bunch of them on there. Is the one you are talking about a councilman for district 4 in Jacksonville? I looked on his FB site and didn't see anything about FWC and spraying, but this may not be the right Scott Wilson.
    Unknown.png

Unknown-1.png

11. Member
    In his profile pic he has a blue huk shirt on
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001415871130

Mike knepper is also all over them with incredible drone footage
    https://www.facebook.com/michael.a.knepper.1

They both go to just about every meeting. There are strong voices out there. I think it's time to block the ramps for an entire day throughout the state so they cant get on the water but thatd require guys to be willing to pay the price of possible fines or arrests. They just arent changing and its crazy

I was born and raised on the Wekiva river and that's been my home Waters since I can walk and I will say what they are doing out there is completely atrocious. I go up there bowfishing and the water is Crystal Clear until they spray it and everything turns to mush between the damage they're doing adding the new Wekiva Parkway next to 46 it has change sandbars drop the level of the river so low some of it is impossible barely it is just crazy how they are destroying this beautiful place that I was born and raised on

Quote Originally Posted by lil red 02 View Post
    I was born and raised on the Wekiva river and that's been my home Waters since I can walk and I will say what they are doing out there is completely atrocious. I go up there bowfishing and the water is Crystal Clear until they spray it and everything turns to mush between the damage they're doing adding the new Wekiva Parkway next to 46 it has change sandbars drop the level of the river so low some of it is impossible barely it is just crazy how they are destroying this beautiful place that I was born and raised on
    Based on research I've done....that is what happened to Lake Jessup too....when they did the construction on the road on the north end...re-routed the river's natural path and created a mucky mess out of Jessup.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

I cannot speak for before but as a local raised Sanford boy I can tell you Jessup was not near as bad when I was young, it was not near the mud hole that it is now so you are probably right my friend

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    In his profile pic he has a blue huk shirt on
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001415871130

Mike knepper is also all over them with incredible drone footage
    https://www.facebook.com/michael.a.knepper.1

They both go to just about every meeting. There are strong voices out there. I think it's time to block the ramps for an entire day throughout the state so they cant get on the water but thatd require guys to be willing to pay the price of possible fines or arrests. They just arent changing and its crazy
    Yeah I have been thinking the same thing. When it gets like this Guerrilla tactics may be all that can be done against (((THEM)))- blocking ramps whatever. I just don't know what else to say. Complaining isn't securing any high ground.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    Yeah I have been thinking the same thing. When it gets like this Guerrilla tactics may be all that can be done against (((THEM)))- blocking ramps whatever. I just don't know what else to say. Complaining isn't securing any high ground.
    The Key isn't to do something crazy, the Key is get the PUBLIC INFORMED.

As long as it is just a handful of "fishermen" raising a stink nothing will happen. Once the Big Groups across Florida like:

Save the Manatee

Friends of the St Johns River/ River Watchers

And other Groups like them there is simply not enough numbers to get the word out.

Most of all is Local Media. Get one or all of the News Teams on it and start getting it broadcast on the Evening News. The More People that know the more Power to Change there is.