Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Minn Kota still the winner!

I don't think Minn Kota have anything to worry about. These new trolling motor just release looks big and bulky as hell. Minn kota design is sleek and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. And prices on these new motor SMH! Minn kota keep doing what yall do.
    Last edited by dsgb; 07-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsgb View Post
    I don't think Minn Kota have anything to worry about. These new trolling motor just release looks big and bulky as hell. Minn kota design is sleek and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. And prices on these new motor SMH! Minn kota keep doing what yall do.
    . All I ever used was Motorguide but I have to agree with you that MK does have a more proven and most cost effective motor and it is available right now.

That at said I am getting a Lowrance Ghost when they come out.

I can’t comment on the Garmin haven’t seen anything about it yet

And motorguide always seems to be playing catchup and falls short in my opinion

But I will admit Lowrance did put some thought in the design of their motor

Don’t get me wrong I’m not a fan of Lowrance and won’t trade my Ultrex for one

But Minn Kota might take notes on some of the features the new Lowrance trolling motor has

First and for most is a replaceable nosecone and transducer with SI coming soon
    I will never buy a new motor just to get a different transducer and a company that thinks this way does not have my best interests in mind - just a bottom line

Next is the drive motor at the head
    this allows you to use the proven 2 shaft design and battleship bow mount allowing you to at least bounce off objects a little better
    It also eliminates the coiled cable from the head to the mount and the possibility of cables binding or pulling out

The “Auto stow motor alinement” is also a nice feature

If Minn Kota came out with these features in a new motor I might trade in my Ultrex for it

I curious to see if Garmin has put as much thought into their design now that would get my attention
    "The handicapped angler"

So what you saying is because you think they are ugly they pose no threat to MK?
    I fairly certain Lowrance will take a ton of business from MK just from the Lowrance users.
    I will be one of them making the switch!
    Boatless

5. Member
    I have to agree that Lowrance surprised me, I am a MK trolling motor guy with Lowrance electronics, I will give serious thought to a Lowrance trolling motor, it looks like it is built like a tank, I like it.

6. Banned
    I’ll be going with either the Lowrance or Pro Tour, I have no desire to have an ultrex.

Just got my first look at the Garmin Force videos

First thing I noticed is all the cable wound around the head
    that’s a lot of cable and if the head unwinds this is going to be an issue
    and I’m not a fan of lose cables that can catch just about anything

Next is how every video I watched they are pushing this "gesture" control
    in my opinion this is a gimmick and if left on could cause some problems

I noticed they mentioned that the transducer cables are internal but neglected to mention if the transducer is replaceable

Also what’s going on with the skag it is bolted on and seems bulky
    Between the nosecone, skag, neck and transducer housing there seems to be a lot of stuff to provide resistance in the water

No mention of how accurate their anchor/spotlock is?
    I would think they would push this because they are one of the leaders in the GPS world

I do like how the cables run down the mount

also a wireless foot pedal is a good idea but how long do the batteries last? – yes I know you can plug it in but it would clean up the front deck a little

I’m a big fan of Garmin but these videos leave me with a lot of questions
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Look at that thing! Look like they cut off the terminator arm lol

lowrance.jpg

I'm pretty sure they are worried as hell. With 4 new TM coming to market you can bet they are scampering like tiny ants. Awesome stuff from all of them. See ya MK

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are worried as hell. With 4 new TM coming to market you can bet they are scampering like tiny ants. Awesome stuff from all of them. See ya MK
    . MK was fat and happy for the last few years. I am sure they foresaw a real competitor coming so they need to get off their fat and happy ass and come out with the next best thing. There are a lot of Lowrance owners running an Ultrex that is not integrated. Integration is going to be the key selling point.

11. Member
    Should of replaced the ! with a ?

There is no doubt Minnkota has just lost market share, regardless of looks.

12. Member
    I agree, with where the suggested pricing is on these new motors, I think Minn Kota is in a fairly good place with their current battle tested models.

13. Member
    Can't believe I'm saying this out loud. Motorguide is going to get my money. Been hanging on with my fortrex for a couple years now waiting for what...I wasn't sure. All I wanted was a fortrex with spot lock. Nothing extra, no cables, no power steering or anything else. Just a bullet proof cable steer with spot lock. Thanks motor guide. I can't believe you got something right after a decade of straight failure. There is still one more yet to come. Power pole...?
    Dan Mitchell
    2011 Stratos Champion Elite 202
    2021 Mercury Pro XS 225

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    . MK was fat and happy for the last few years. I am sure they foresaw a real competitor coming so they need to get off their fat and happy ass and come out with the next best thing. There are a lot of Lowrance owners running an Ultrex that is not integrated. Integration is going to be the key selling point.
    I think integration is the going to be the key point they are going to try and convince you is important.

I have had my MG integrated to my Lowrance for quite a while. I love it, when I am trolling or searching. Can drop a waypoint on the screen and later in the run if I want to go back just select it and hit Go To. Heading lock and seeing the heading in relation to the map and compass is also big for me when trolling.

Route following and contour following do not work very well at trolling speeds (on either MG or MK, in my own experience using both). Throw in some wind and wake waves and it can be real fun experience :)

But let's face it, anchor/spot lock is what is used most when not trolling. And then, it's either on the pedal for short movements or using the jog feature to move up and down a shoreline or weed line if you are spot fishing. In that case, integration is of minimal use.

If you mark a bunch of waypoints along a shore you want to check out, then being able to autopilot to them is very useful if you hit one for a bit and move to the next. In that case integration is useful.

But if your concern is pedal control and feel of using the pedal, you will find integration is nice and cool but not game changing in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HANSHIN View Post
    Can't believe I'm saying this out loud. Motorguide is going to get my money.
    That's crazy talk!!
    Boatless

16. Banned
    Can't believe I'm saying this out loud. Motorguide is going to get my money. Been hanging on with my fortrex for a couple years now waiting for what...I wasn't sure. All I wanted was a fortrex with spot lock. Nothing extra, no cables, no power steering or anything else. Just a bullet proof cable steer with spot lock. Thanks motor guide. I can't believe you got something right after a decade of straight failure. There is still one more yet to come. Power pole...?
    Don’t feel bad, I’m right there with you. I hope we see some good video of it in action.

The metal pedal on the MG gets my vote.

18. Member
    I think MG jjjuuuusssttt missed. If or when they can get the price lowered, I think there is a big portion of consumers that think the same exact thing. I'm an Ultrex user and I have no desire to switch, but if I was shopping new ones, I would feel the same way.

19. Member
    Im a shallow water fisherman and was constantly breaking shafts on my Ultrex. Just sold it before the market got flooded with used ultrex's and have a order in for the new Lowrance.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sanner View Post
    Im a shallow water fisherman and was constantly breaking shafts on my Ultrex. Just sold it before the market got flooded with used ultrex's and have a order in for the new Lowrance.
    So you think Lowrance with the longer shaft will solve your problem? That's crazy talk!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast