Anyone have a rifle in 204 Ruger?

I so, how do you like it? I spent too much time on he net looking at guns today and now I think I need one.

2. Member
    My SIL built me one on an AR platform but I haven't shot it yet. I purchased the barrel from Wilson Combat and hoping it turns out as accurate as I want. My intent was to use it on prairie dogs as we've been taking an annual trip to the Oklahoma panhandle. I have shot one belonging to a friend and it was very accurate. If you're looking for pure speed you might want to look at ballistics for the 224 Valkyrie also.

I do not own one, but have a couple of buddies that do. I took a javelina and a feral hog a few years ago with an AR15 in .204 Ruger, and it performed just fine. My other buddy has one in a T/C Encore rifle, and has taken a number of coyotes with it. Seems to be a fun little round. As mentioned above, there are several newer cartridges that look very interesting as well.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I’ve had one for a number of years in a ruger mark 2, I really like it. It’s primary use is destroying varmints of whatever kind is annoying at the moment. It’s also lots of fun for long distance plinking. I’ve had best luck with 40 grain loads for all around performance. Wind drift is definitely noticed beyond 300 yards but if you spend a little time with it you can pull off some crazy shots. Less recoil and report than a 22-250 but performance doesn’t fall far behind. I wouldn’t want this in a semi auto with a standard barrel due to barrel heating, but being far from an expert that may be an unfounded fear.

5. Banned
    I have one, but don't use it a whole lot. It makes a mess out of rabbits. Squirrels seem to disappear in a puff of mist.

I may do some looking and see if I can find one for coyote hunting on our deer lease. At least that is the excuse I’m going to give the wife.

I have a TC Venture in 204. Very nice rifle for the $$ and flat lays a coyote out with minimal fur damage, if you're keeping fur.

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I have a TC Venture in 204. Very nice rifle for the $$ and flat lays a coyote out with minimal fur damage, if you're keeping fur.
    Not keeping fur. Just like to call them in with the Fox pro and drop em.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Not keeping fur. Just like to call them in with the Fox pro and drop em.
    It'll drop, no run offs with it yet.

10. Member
    Excellent varmit slayer but imo it is wise to stick to the 22s for the bullet selection. Smaller cleaning tools are flimsy and harder to find as well.

11. Banned
    Looks like a nice round, but how tough is it to find ammo for if you don't reload?

Seems to be pretty relatively available

I've had my eye on one of the CZ 204's
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

14. Member
    I've had 3 of them. Love the round....it is very fast and recoil is light so you can see the hits thru the scope.

And Stoner, I have one in CZ and you will love the set trigger it has.

15. Member
    The 204 ruger is an amazing predator round. Small entrance holes, and usually no exit. Great for coyotes, and bobcats. For some reason they seem to be an extremely accurate round too. Almost every combination I tried was sub moa.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

I thought I had to have one once when it first hit the street. Ended up building a custom 223 ackley improved instead. Ballistically about the same and equally useless on anything north of Yotes, woodchucks, crows or P-dogs, none of which followed me to Florida...LOL. Assuming you live in a target rich environment I would opt. for the straight up 223 or 5.56 with 1-8 twist. This still handles the former list but easily bumps your target list to deer, depending on your state rules. If you are a collector like me you will not mind owning another safe queen.
    Last edited by Finlander; 07-24-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

17. Member
    I bought one when they first came out for fur freindly coyote hunting the first two I shot I lost with a 32 gr vmax. I all but gave up and went back to my 22/250. A guy sent me a PM about trying Berger 40 gr load. Now it anchors em DEAD before they hit the ground.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"