Thread: 223?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power Poles are no longer on it, didn't use them so sold them when I got an Ultrex.
    2i8i0de.jpg2zi4rjm.jpg20140222_151346.jpg

2. Member
    That's a sweet looking rig!
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Here’s a little info on the 596
    the deep V is around 50 inches to the rub rail

On this 21 foot boat the V is only 12 inches to the edge of the boat ,yes the side are deep but that’s not what will be cutting the water it’s the small V.There is a difference but most have never really looked

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Rear battery compartment 2 group 34m agm with plenty of room left over .By the way these batteries weigh 40 lbs and you can not kill them with the ultrex or as my starting battery.

5. Member
    That thing really does have a deep V. I’m going to see it in person hopefully this week if I can get out of work. Awesome looking rig.

6. Member
    So I made a short drive over to meet John and look over his 596 in person. First of all, John lives in a beautiful place and I pretty much wouldn’t leave there if I lived there. It’s another whole world and just a short beautiful drive from DFW. I really appreciated his time and enthusiasm for the boat.

The 596 is a beast. It has the true deep V front I’ve been looking for on a bass boat. The storage is ample and pretty traditional in layout. It’s a huge boat.
    DC42BB23-DE36-4CCF-846C-074D03115E04.png
    This view really shows how big the front end of the boat is. It’s hard to appreciate in a pic but impressive in person.

E681388A-F073-42EC-9C5F-DEF9D665D6BD.jpeg

This is gives some idea of how sharp the entry is. It’s not a lot different than a 522D looking at it from this view in person. It’s much deeper and sharper than anything else I’ve looked at.

I’ll post a few likes and dislikes in follow up. Thanks again to John for sharing his time to show it to me.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Now if they would marry the 797 to the hull of a 596 it would be about perfect!

Enjoyed meeting you. Hope you end up happy with whichever brand you chose. Hope to see you again, fishing Hubbard Creek.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Now if they would marry the 797 to the hull of a 596 it would be about perfect!
    So I agree that the boat top cap needs some console and finish updates.
    1) The front deck is long enough to position the rods behind you while you fish. The nose is narrow compared to wide body boats but I actually like that, as I do a lot of flipping and it’s more efficient.
    2) The rear deck is massive. With the invention of the ultrex, I spend a lot of time fishing off of the back deck depending on the wind.
    3) The bilge area is roomy and fairly easy to access. I wish the rear hatch doors slid off like on a bass cat.
    4) the cockpit is extremely comfortable and vision is good. Moving to the front deck is easy.
    5) The livewell cooling system looks like a good option here in Texas.

Dislikes: 1) The consoles and front mounting areas are designed for basically 7 inch screens rather than modern electronics.
    2) The plastic dash panels and switches are below current industry standards. BUT - I’ve had a deck boat with the same dash and switches, and they were flawless for 15 years. And easy to fix if needed. And John reports not a single issue with his. My BCB electric gauge panels looked cool but were occasionally problematic.
    3) Overall fit and finish of the carpet and boxes is below the main brands right now. Maybe that has changed some with newer models. The 210 has modern finish so I know they can build it. It’s not a dealbreaker if the price is less.

It’s an awesome boat and I would buy one even with the dislikes. Fits my fishing style and needs perfectly.

I agree with dislikes 1 & 3. I just don't understand why they still have a 20+ year old top cap on this boat. The best big boat hull (in my opinion) with an outdated cap.

11. Member
    Just reading along as I love the classic looks of the new Chargers with Champion hulls. Im wondering what makes a top cap out dated versus modern or new?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT1973 View Post
    Just reading along as I love the classic looks of the new Chargers with Champion hulls. Im wondering what makes a top cap out dated versus modern or new?
    Primarily it’s ability to mount 10 inch or larger graphs. Almost all newer console designs will flush mount a 12 inch graph. What’s allowed this is the single digital gauge on modern motors that limits the need for so many gauges mounted in the dash. Second factor, in my opinion, is some effort to eliminate plastic from the dash almost entirely. A fully fiberglass console does not fade or crack like faux wood and vinyl does in the sun. Charger has accomplished all of this in the 210 but the 596 still uses a max 7 inch graph in the dash.

13. Member
    Also having a molded area in the nose of the boat to accept a flush mounted large graft is an update a lot of manufacturers have done. Having a modern center console design is more trendy, as opposed to a third seat that few people ever use. And fiberglass lined boxes with LED lighting are pretty standard now, as opposed to plastic drop in boxes (for the record, I prefer the drop in boxes because I can remove them to access the area beneath to run wires or fix a livewell plumbing leak, but they certainly look cheaper).

Problem is that add in all of these goodies and the price of the boat may become less appealing. Right now it’s an awesome hull in a fair price range as is.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The flush mount I really don’t like only because I can remove my unit and I have upgraded my unit 5 times in the last 5 years or so having them on a ram is much easier and I can move them that is a personal preference.
    front unit we all ram mount above or beside the foot tray and I like mine really high for my scope .
    The rear removable boxes are awesome for getting to pumps ,wiring ,and fuel tank if needed plus I can take them out and put a big cooler in there for white bass and crappie etc.
    The only thing I would like is to have the passenger console removable,but it’s not that big of deal breaker been using it for 18 years lol.
    love how I can sit on the center seat area for lures and such .Other than someone wanting a super wide front area don’t think I would change but only a few things.The consoles are deep under them if you remove the foot rest and I use that area a lot small tackle bag shoes pants you never know what I may have down there to stay out of the rain .
    The 797 is a big big boat the 596 will sit inside it but that’s a plus or negative depending on a persons needs .

one thing I would miss is my under seat storage that area is used a lot and I have a ton of stuff in there.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 07-21-2019 at 11:10 AM.

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Also that can make the lids open to the out side

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Also that can make the lids open to the out side
    I like this!

What I would like to see is a good step on console between the seats with storage and drink holders. More drink and tool holders on the front deck somewhere. Drivers console that will accept a bigger graph, removable passenger console...TOC, the 797 may have some of those features, but damn that's an ugly boat...IMO

Come on Charger, drop a buck and upgrade those 6 caps.

19. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Speaking of electronics now Iam going from a 10 to a 12

20. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yes stomp the 797 is nothing like a charger that we all like and I think that’s where they went wrong.Even the 210 looks nothing like a charger which a lot of charger guys don’t like but some do .I agree just do some small upgrades or changes would be a better term and sales will follow as proven over the years.
    Other brands have the same problem,if you go to the extreme side of a design people really notice and it may not be good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast