Yamaha Newb...Help needed

Guys,
    I am looking to buy a new to me boat, Ranger 519VX / 198VX probably around the 2003 to 2007 years with a 200HP. I have always had Mercs but I am not opposed to buying a Yamaha however I know absolutely nothing about them.
    I know I can call Mercury and ask about service and so on on a serial number, can I do the same with Yamaha?
    I have read that to get the best performance out of the hull I want I should get a big block, did Yamaha make small and big blocks during that time frame? If so, how do I determine what a particular motor is?

Are there any particular years and or models that I should be wary of?

Basically any info you can help me with or point me to to educate myself would be greatly appreciated!!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

2. Member
    You can call Yamaha and depending upon who answers the phone possibly get a history of the motor. If there were any warranty claims, YES claims or goodwill claims filed. When it comes to routine maintenance the motor should have a log of the maintenance performed on it. Probably won't however.

If I knew what model Yamaha motor you are talking about I possibly could provide you with some information about it.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply yam911. You have a PM coming your way...
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66