98 Astro 1850DC / 98 Mariner Optimax

Taking some boys out fishing in a high school tourney yesterday, ran from one end of the lake and idled down to a hump looking for the deep weedline. When we didn't find any weeds I put the throttle down to move on to somewhere else and all it would give me is about 2 mph, I could move the throttle up and down but pretty much 2 mph is all it would go and going reverse was the same. Took it home and flushed it out thinking maybe it was plugged with weeds but to no avail that was not the issue. I've owned this boat for 9 years it had less then a hundred hours on it when I bought it and I've never had an issue until now.

Are there sensors in the engine if it seems there is an problem it will not let you go above a certain RPM? Anyone seen this before?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Should be some beeps if anything is going on. Did the engine rev without speed changes?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I thought there should of been some beeping also but there wasn't. The engine did not rev, it was idling then I pushed the throttle forward and nothing happened.

The other strange thing was, when the motor was running I could push the throttle forward without any problem but when I shut the motor off there was quite a bit of resistance pushing the throttle forward, don't quite understand why that is.

Most likely a plug, coil or an injector....only my humble opinion.
    "Show me the water, I will fish."

5. Member
    My Suzuki has pressed hubs on the prop. If you spin one 2 mph is about all you can go. Not sure what hub is in your prop, but your symptoms sound similar to when I spun mine.

6. Member
    Throttle cables were replaced, problem solved

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoputter View Post
    Throttle cables were replaced, problem solved
    Glad you got it fixed!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​