98 Mariner Optimax

Taking some boys out fishing in a high school tourney yesterday, ran from one end of the lake and idled down to a hump looking for the deep weedline. When we didn't find any weeds I put the throttle down to move on to somewhere else and all it would give me is about 2 mph, I could move the throttle up and down but pretty much 2 mph is all it would go and going reverse was the same. Took it home and flushed it out thinking maybe it was plugged with weeds but to no avail that was not the issue. I've owned this boat for 9 years it had less then a hundred hours on it when I bought it and I've never had an issue until now.

Are there sensors in the engine if it seems there is an problem it will not let you go above a certain RPM? Anyone seen this before?

2. Member
    there are sensors and a guardian system on it but horn should sound also, need HP in correct forum also for more help on it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Hello Mojoputter,
    Had a similar problem recently with my 125 hp... Thought it was electrical when that was debunked went after fuel... Also not the issue. Turned out to be the link arm operating the throttles. Little plastic clips that hold the arm in position broke, (both sides).. Check all linkages, (plastic gets brittle with age), as well as get a service manual to help with diagnosis.

Robinr011