Thread: Shipping rods

Shipping rods

I've never shipped a rod and I cant find the info anywhere. Can someone give me a rundown on packaging and shipping a rod? Thanks

2. Member
    Maybe one of your buddies has a used rod tube from where they bought a new one if not use pvc tubing. Make sure when you put a lot of paper on each end so it don't move back and forth in shipping. I use the usps to ship and have never had any trouble and costs between 25 and 30.

3. Banned
    And tape the rod handle to the tube so I’d doesn’t slide forward hard and bust the tip

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    And tape the rod handle to the tube so I’d doesn’t slide forward hard and bust the tip
    Yeah. Tie a string around the handle and tape it to the outside of the tube before putting the end cap on. One of the last rods I bought from a personal seller had nothing around the rod, and the rod was allowed it to slide back and forth in the tube. Rod tip was broken off at the first eye. Seller said he had shipped 8 rods that way with no problem. I ate the cost of the rod. All I've got to say is he should be buying lottery tickets as his luck is phenomenal.

I've only shipped one rod. The guy was probably upset when he got it (shouldn't have been because it was a gift ) due to how I packaged it. I even drill 2 holes thru each end cap and used 2 bolt on each end to keep the cap from coming off...or being pulled off by someone curious to see what was in the tube. I've had a couple tubes arrived with one end cap missing. One rod had the tip broken off. Ate the price of that rod too.

5. Member
    new2BC4bass does what I do using the string to secure the butt of the rod so tip doesn't bounce around. Over protection? Maybe. I also second the PVC tube- yeah, it's more $ to buy and maybe more $ to ship.The last several cardboard tubes (no matter how stout) have all come busted, bent, somehow damaged. Only 1 rod was broken though. The PVC tubes look bad, but they survive.

I put bubble wrap in strategic places as well to help cushion it. I've been know to wrap the whole rod in several layers. I secure the end of the tubes with duck (or duct) tape. Length wise six times, then wrap around the tube up to the cap to cover the cross tape.

6. Member
    I use Braid to tie rod in place so it doesn't slide back and forth, put rod in foam pipe insulation and use PVC tube.

7. Scraps
    The light gauge sprinkler PVC works well. I like to use the clear plastic rod sleeves that new rods come with. I roll some newspaper or bubble wrap around the rod tip, sometimes I'll put some at the middle of the rod, slide 'er in the tube. Then when she's about all the way in, roll some shipping tape around the butt end long enough that it sticks out the tube about six inches. Stuff some paper around the butt so it doesn't rattle. Roll that six inch length of tape so it's like a string, pull it out and fold it back up the tube and put the cap on. This tape keeps the rod from sliding back and forth in the tube and allows the buyer to pull the rod out of the tube. Label the butt end of the tube "Open" and draw a little fishy on the side of the tube and write "DO NOT CONVEY" on the tube.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    PVC tube
    over package the rod tight
    string trick mentioned above is great
    always, always , always insure the rod. If the rod breaks in shipping, it isn't on the buyer, it's on you. Always use paypal because of this, too.

total cost will be around 30$