Trolling Motor Bolts & Access

I just purchased an Ultrex to replace the Ulterra that was on the boat when I purchased it. The old mounting holes do not line up, and the wiring holes in the bow are not big enough to get my hand through to access the area underneath the gunnel. Are most of you using threaded inserts to attach your trolling motor? Has anyone opened up a hole in the bow large enough to get your hand into the gunnel to attach standard nuts?

2. Member
    I ended up purchasing 1/4-20 aluminum rivet nuts from Fastenal, and I also got a few 5/16-18 rivet nuts in case I over drilled one of the holes (which I did). I tossed the phillips head screws that came with the Ultrex and used hex head bolts instead. The hex head bolts were much easier/quicker to work with. The mount seems solid. We will see how it holds up.

What series and year boat do you have
    and what Ulterra you have also.IMG_1131.JPG do you have a front console like this
    or close to it, if so you can remove it to get to the bolts. This is an old picture before I replaced it and my boat is 2,5 hrs away. I did use the threaded insert but it takes a special tool to put them but them in. It did not take long before they started to get loose after a while with 80 ilb TM.
    Maybe I was able to help
    Attached Images Attached Images

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

4. Member
    I have a 2015 X19. I sold the Ulterra, but I replaced it with the 80lb/52'' Ultrex. I do not have a bow console like the one in your pictures on my boat. Mine has 2 holes in the bow for trim switch/graph wiring and a cover plate. The rivet nuts that I used did not require a special tool. You simply drill a hole and knock them into place with a hammer. I used 6 rivet nuts/bolts. Time will tell whether the rivet nuts stay in place or not.

Stainless steel “Toggler bolts”. Look them up.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    I opened up the front end where I could get my hand inside there to put lock nuts on mine when I installed a Ultrex. Was easy to do just watch the burrs file them down.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    That will work but I would be looking for access or making it. Luckily I didn't have to do that with my 01

8. Member
    The hole in the bow of my 2017 X19 is too small to get your hand in, and one of my Ultrex anchors won't tighten down.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

9. T Dub
    I have an old boat and an old trolling motor, but I installed a recessed pedal tray mainly so I could use the hole to reach underneath and use lock nuts

10. Member
    Found out my '17 X19 Ultrex is mounted with Riv nuts from the factory. Through the small square hole we got a angled set of needle nose pliers on with the help of a small mirror, and got the one loose screw tightened up.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 More Cast View Post
    I ended up purchasing 1/4-20 aluminum rivet nuts from Fastenal, and I also got a few 5/16-18 rivet nuts in case I over drilled one of the holes (which I did). I tossed the phillips head screws that came with the Ultrex and used hex head bolts instead. The hex head bolts were much easier/quicker to work with. The mount seems solid. We will see how it holds up.
    More cast. How did the rivet nuts hold up?

12. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I had issues with the factory rivet nuts coming loose on my 2012 I had. Knocked them through and replaced with the above mentioned style. Worked perfectly.

FYI, I would recommend attempting to drill new holes in the ultrex mount to match existing holes in boat (if possible) as opposed to new holes in the boat..

13. Member
    Remove your Tm tray you can get in A lot easier. I replaced all those factory crap inserts after the first time my Tm came off in big water. SS bolts with Teflon nuts. Never looked back.