Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing your own oil?

Is it that hard to drain the oil through the drain plug? Seems like everyone says to buy a oil extraction pump to do this. What are your thoughts? Also, does anyone know the size of the oil filter wrench you need. This is a 2014 250 sho. Thanks

2. Member
    The oil plug isn't an issue for me. Pull the lower cowling on the port side and then the plug. Let it drain as long as you want. I'm old fashioned I guess. I like draining over pumping.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

3. Member
    Very easy and honestly the right way to do it I don’t care what anybody says. That dumb little hose ain’t going to get out what needs to come out nor let you see if you have any kinda metal in it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

4. Member
    Not hard to do. Just messy. More time consuming. Greater chance of losing parts. Greater chance of stripping or cross threading a drain plug.

In many folks minds just as effective.

Let it drain...........

6. Member
    Both the VF200/VF225/VF250SHO owner's manual and the service manual show the oil be changed via an extractor pump only.

That is the way that a Yamaha mechanic would do it. For those that don't do it themselves.

But we don't have the FAA telling us what is to be done and how so we are free to all do as we wish.

7. Member
    I bought a pump... will never do it again. Trying to hold hoses, hold pump, not spill oil is a pain. Pop the lower cowling off, pull the plug and let it drain. Way faster and cleaner and nothing to clean up

Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Both the VF200/VF225/VF250SHO owner's manual and the service manual show the oil be changed via an extractor pump only.

That is the way that a Yamaha mechanic would do it. For those that don't do it themselves.

But we don't have the FAA telling us what is to be done and how so we are free to all do as we wish.
    And we know Yamaha can't be wrong...........

9. Member

Why the hell would you do you do that in anything else if you change fluids on anything I’m going to say no. It’s shear lazy if you ask me and wrong.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

10. Member
    I bought an oil drain tube kit a couple of years ago for my F150. In the trimmed up position you remove the oil drain plug, thread in the nipple that comes with the hose, attach the hose, place an oil drain pan under the drain hose and then trim the engine down. Easy Peasy and no mess.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I bought an oil drain tube kit a couple of years ago for my F150. In the trimmed up position you remove the oil drain plug, thread in the nipple that comes with the hose, attach the hose, place an oil drain pan under the drain hose and then trim the engine down. Easy Peasy and no mess.
    The F150 is completely different from a VF200/225/250 SHO model. I agree with your oil drain procedure.

But you are still at risk of stripping the oil pan threads. But there is a fix for that as well.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    Why the hell would you do you do that in anything else if you change fluids on anything I’m going to say no. It’s shear lazy if you ask me and wrong.
    Six of one, half dozen of the other.

My preference is for the oil pump extraction method. Just me. I have done it both ways. To each his own. I don't have a dog in the hunt.

Now when it comes to paying a mechanic a hundred bucks an hour (many do) for maintenance most folks I dareguess are looking for a job to be done in the least amount of time. That would be the extraction method. Plus the mechanic does not expose himself to someone complaining that he failed to tighten the drain plug, or worse yet, that he stripped the drain plug.

I compared the two methods. Maybe there was an ounce more of oil left in the pan using the extraction pump versus the plug removal method. There is much more than an ounce remaining that is clinging to parts and trapped up in the power plant. A nonissue IMO. Others may disagree.

Now let's open the debate about draining the motor when hot versus when cold.

13. Member
    Six of one, half dozen of the other.

My preference is for the oil pump extraction method. Just me. I have done it both ways. To each his own. I don't have a dog in the hunt.

Now when it comes to paying a mechanic a hundred bucks an hour (many do) for maintenance most folks I dareguess are looking for a job to be done in the least amount of time. That would be the extraction method. Plus the mechanic does not expose himself to someone complaining that he failed to tighten the drain plug, or worse yet, that he stripped the drain plug.

I compared the two methods. Maybe there was an ounce more of oil left in the pan using the extraction pump versus the plug removal method. There is much more than an ounce remaining that is clinging to parts and trapped up in the power plant. A nonissue IMO. Others may disagree.

Now let's open the debate about draining the motor when hot versus when cold.
    Extraction method is not faster buddy hate to tell you that I mean that’s just common sense. Little bitty hose or big ass hole let me see. It takes literally a few seconds to drain out the plug. I don’t know where you guys are talking about mess doing the plug but I never have a mess. How do you change the oil in everything else around your house you pull a plug. It’s called lazy is what it’s called.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

14. Member
    IBLAYZ.

15. Member
    I'm coming up on my 20 hour service interval and I plan on draining the oil and this will be my first time changing oil on an outboard. Times change, 4-strokes are now common. I'm not concerned in the least how much mess it makes or how difficult it is, I am of the opinion that if you want something done right, do it yourself.

BTW, on a 2014 250 SHO you pull the cowling skirt off the starboard side (right), NOT the port side (left) to access the oil drain plug...
    ……Ranger Randy 521c

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Randy 521-C View Post
    BTW, on a 2014 250 SHO you pull the cowling skirt off the starboard side (right), NOT the port side (left) to access the oil drain plug...
    That is correct
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krasko View Post
    I'm coming up on my 20 hour service interval and I plan on draining the oil and this will be my first time changing oil on an outboard. Times change, 4-strokes are now common. I'm not concerned in the least how much mess it makes or how difficult it is, I am of the opinion that if you want something done right, do it yourself.
    It won’t make a mess get a 5 gallon bucket and hold it right under the plug and pull it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

19. Member
    I tape a section of thin plastic to the engine below the plug so everything goes where it's intended, pull the plug and let it rip, it also helps to turn engine full right so it tilts to the plug side, it fully drains that way.
    A lot easier than changing the oil in my Tundra by a long shot.

Oh good grief, this isn't nuclear science. If you're too lazy or whatever to drain it, take it to a dealer, they will be more than happy to do it for you. With an electric drill & the right bit, takes about 2 minutes to remove the STARBOARD side lower cowling. Unscrew the drain plug, let it drain. Go get a cool one. If this is too complicated for you, you're in bad shape. A dealer would love to see you. And if you have a change of mind to do it yourself, they will be glad to furnish you a genuine, original Yamaha extraction pump............at a modest fee of course! And while you're at it go by your vehicle dealership & pick up a nice extraction pump so you can pump out your vehicle oil at the same time. Wow, decision, decisions.
    Last edited by tracer1; 07-18-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast