Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    You need to remove the starboard side cover, NOT the port side. Both methods for changing oil are fine.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter100 View Post
    You need to remove the starboard side cover, NOT the port side. Both methods for changing oil are fine.
    It surprised me to read how strongly some folks feel about just changing oil.

It would not surprise me if some day Yamaha (and Mercury, Honda and Suzuki) decided to eliminate the drain plug altogether. Save them a few bucks in manufacturing. Save them from being confronted by customers who strip the drain pan threads and expect a free of charge repair.

I see that some new automobiles have eliminated the dip stick for automatic transmissions. Story I heard was that customers were screwing it up and then blaming the automaker. Same thing could be done with the drain plug on an outboard motor.

3. Member
    I agree on all accounts. I extract oil with a pump from engines almost daily (many of these with thousands of hours of runtime). This method gets used all the time on everything from small equipment to V16 diesel commercial generators.

Yes, the “sealed” transmission design is mostly to keep people from destroying their own transmission by over/under filling or using the wrong fluid.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

4. Member
    Some of y'all have a hard on for folks that don't do it themselves.
    Believe it or not, there are people who have the skill set but choose to have it done instead of doing it themselves. Maybe they have reached a point in their life when they have the money and decided they aren't changing oil anymore... call it what you will.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdh View Post
    Some of y'all have a hard on for folks that don't do it themselves.
    Believe it or not, there are people who have the skill set but choose to have it done instead of doing it themselves. Maybe they have reached a point in their life when they have the money and decided they aren't changing oil anymore... call it what you will.
    Exactly. And if a guy can make a hundred bucks an hour doing what he does and is paying someone less than that to change the oil then he is money ahead paying for his oil changes.

6. Member
    I use an oil extractor. I just find it easy, fast and I have yet to make a mess. Really either way will do the job. I do it my self as it gives me something to do.

7. Member
    My cheap electric oil extractor worked 1 time before oil got sucked into pump and jacked it up. Went and bought Manuel pump but haven't used it yet. Verdict still pending...

8. Member
    Buy a pump on a bucket. Easy peasy! Connect the alligator clips to your battery, insert hose down the dipstick hole, turn pump on, and sit back and take a few sips on your adult beverage. Nuff said.

The oil filter wrench is a 73 mm with 14 lobes. Turn it with your socket wrench.
    Last edited by jeff7y28; 07-30-2019 at 09:44 AM.

9. Member
    I use the pump this guy uses in the video below. Took five mins

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    I bought a pump... will never do it again. Trying to hold hoses, hold pump, not spill oil is a pain. Pop the lower cowling off, pull the plug and let it drain. Way faster and cleaner and nothing to clean up
    Nothing to clean up?.....Your kidding me......the oil flies out of that plug hole pretty damn quick. Goes everywhere except the 5 gallon bucket. All over the lower unit. Clue me please.

11. Member
    Bought a manual pump from Tractor Supply. What I like is I can extract the oil right at the ramp parking lot as soon as I come off lake, hot oil. No mess. Filter replacement once I get home followed by refill. Have changed oil using both methods. Extraction is quick and easy and per manufacturer spec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12