Question Sea deck flooring ranger carpet

I have a 2012 ranger z520 fixing to have the carpet redone, but was looking at the sea deck flooring. Has any one redone there carpet and went to the sea deck type flooring? Not sure if the sea deck would cover up all the glue spots and look good from the old carpet glue stains?

This isn't a complete answer but I'll share what I did last year. The biggest problem I think you will have is I think the compartment lids are white and not colored like our boats. In the sea deck installs I've seen it doesn't cover like carpet and you can see the edges of compartments, deck, etc. If the compartments match the boats I'd probably do sea deck at some point because I live on a gravel road and it's almost impossible to keep my carpet clean.

In my 519 I have a step up to the front deck that had a hard rubber no slip pad on it. Because I kneel there a lot to get tackle out of the middle compartment I replaced it with sea deck. I bought a new no slip pad from Ranger to use as a template and to put it back on there if the sea deck didn't work. I bought a sheet of sea deck and traced out what I needed.

The sea deck was easy to cut and I used an orbital sander to help round off the corners.

The rubber pad was really, really glued down good and I pulled up some of the clear coat trying to get it up. Parts of the pad did not peel up. I used the orbital sander to smooth out the area, cleaned it with acetone and put down the sea deck.

I think it came out great but in hind sight I wouldn't have done if I knew how strong the glue Ranger used was. I'll attach a couple of pictures. My boat is dirty in this photos so that is why the sea deck looks like it's stained.

20190709_122618.jpg20190709_122647.jpg

3. Member
    I have some seadeck on our Chaparral and it works well on the swim platform, that said it gets quite hot from the sun and it will discolor. Personally i would not put it on my Ranger in place of carpeting.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

If it is just the lids, it would not be do difficult to awlgrip the top sides.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

I’m strongly considering doing this in the bottom of my boat and replace that carpet that takes forever to dry.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by carolinagreenhead View Post
    I’m strongly considering doing this in the bottom of my boat and replace that carpet that takes forever to dry.
    I want to do that too. Just afraid I will screw it up.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

Did mine with seadek in the floor. Love it but should have got a darker color
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    Did mine with seadek in the floor. Love it but should have got a darker color
    Will you post a picture of the sea deck?
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

9. mikesxpress
    Anyone contemplating the use of Sea Deck should get a sample piece and do a trial 1st. I tried a 24X32 piece in front of the trolling motor in my Intracoastal for 3 weeks and couldn't get it clean after use. I scrubbed it to the point of disintegration and blood stains were still visible. Might be ok for Biff & Buffy's swim platform and washing off rum & coke? I just atrached it on 4 corners for the test.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Anyone contemplating the use of Sea Deck should get a sample piece and do a trial 1st. I tried a 24X32 piece in front of the trolling motor in my Intracoastal for 3 weeks and couldn't get it clean after use. I scrubbed it to the point of disintegration and blood stains were still visible. Might be ok for Biff & Buffy's swim platform and washing off rum & coke? I just atrached it on 4 corners for the test.
    Good to know...a little surprising since they put that stuff on a lot of saltwater fishing boats!

11. Member
    Joe,
    I fish out of a Ranger Z520ci Intracoastal. The entire cockpit and fishing decks are covered with a hard foam. Prior to this Ranger, I owned a Ranger Bay 2000. I used Sea Dek to cover the front deck to ease standing on it all day and on my rod boxes to protect the reels and rod tips. The Sea Dek is comfortable, but hooks, pliers or anything sharp will cause tears. You also have to be careful if you pressure wash it as it will cause tears.
    The foam in my Intracoastal is much harder and less susceptible to the issues with Sea Dek. It is cut to fit the hatches and does shrink a bit, creating the need to clean between the foam and edge of the hatch. If you can find out where Ranger gets their deck covering for the Intracoastal, that may be the way to go. Having a bass boat, that you can clean the inside at the local car wash, makes upkeep a lot more simple.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

12. Member
    I also have a intercoastal (521l) and second the idea of contacting ranger about the traction pad. I love mine for ease of cleanup...just hose it down although I did lightly scrub it once after a hard 4 days of fishing.