2004 Merc 200hp carb motor. No power

m# i200412cd
    s# ot834340

I just bought the boat and love it, but the motor isn't running right... It won't plane out and is down on power...
    Its a carberator motor and in really good and clean shape inside. The carbs, fuel pump and plugs were replaced 4 years ago.
    It will start up immediately and idle all day long but boggs down when you give it throttle. It will only run up to about 3000rpm.

So far I have replaced the spark plugs with the correct NGK plugs.
    Replaced all the fuel lines from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. ALL new.
    Replaced the pickup tube and check ball fitting.
    Replaced the primer bulb.
    Replaced both oil lines to the tank, (found one torn)
    Rebuilt the fuel pump with OEM kit.
    Performed compression test and leak down. It passed...
    I have spark at all 6 plugs.

Im thinking it HAS TO BE electrical at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Btw, I thought Id find some junk in the fuel pump because the 5/16" line was deteriorated inside... But it was clean.

2. Member
    We’re the carbs cleaned since the deteriorated fuel line was found?
    If yes, then my guess would be stator needs to be checked.
    Slso have you checked and verify timing? Done a link n sync. ?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    The carbs haven't been cleaned since 2015. But i don't believe it is a fuel issue... I believe its timing. I don't have the ability to check the stator. I have an appointment with the mechanic next week. I was just wondering if there was maybe something else I may have looked over...

4. Member
    I didn't see filter in the replaced
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May or may not be electrical... don't overlook fuel delivery as a potential cause.

On the electrical side, among many possibilities are the Stator (high-speed windings) and/or the Trigger (especially a deteriorated trigger harness, which is becoming more and more common).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Is there an easy way for me to check this? Im an experienced HVAC Service technician so im very familiar with a volt ohm meter and electrical things... Im just wanting to go fishing! lol. I can idle all day long, but no power.

7. Member
    l should mention, after replacing all the plugs and fishing twice I checked them all just to see what they looked like. All plugs are wet, and have oil on them.

8. Member
    Carbs could be possibly gummed up, mine bogged down when I gave it throttle, seafoam and 3 trips to river and throttle wide open to get the foam in the carbs cleared it up, still remember the moment it opened up, that was several years ago.

9. Member
    make sure all linkages are operating correctly , advancing timming and opening carbs shutters
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................