Carpeting over piano hinges?

Hi guys, almost finished carpeting my 02 tracker pro 175. I didn't glue down the carpet over the hinges of the lids yet im still deciding wether to go over the hinge like they originally did or to remove the hinges and wrap the carpet around the edge of the lid. I prefer to have it going over the hinge leaving nothing showing but the carpet. Has anyone covered the hinge when they re-carpeted, did u glue the carpet with the hinge in the closed position like at 90 deg. And did u wrap it tight or leave some slack-and has it held up ok.

I always run to the edge of the hinge and trim on trackers. Every one I’ve pulled apart have the carpet broken loose around the hinge because it is excess flex. Trim to the hinge, not over.

3. Member
    Ya thats what i was thinking it just looks so much better without the metal showing. But when i tore off what carpet was left on the boat there wasnt any around any of the hinges. Plus I imagine that piece is going to have to flex every time u open a hatch creating stress on the carpet. I noticed on the never trackers they now wrap the carpet around the edge of the hatch then install the hinge. I wish the hinges where riveted to my hatches instead of welded then id just drill out the rivets like i did to remove the hinges from the side that attached to the boat.

4. Member
    I've done a dozen of them, only hing that I've seen with carpet is the rod locker. The rest are pop riveted with the carpet wrapped around the lid. 5/8" pop rivet, anything shorter and it won't hold
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    I redid my carpet and wrapped all the way over the hinge I just didn't glue to the hinge, but the carpet is loose there, I wish now that i would have used some type of spray adhesive on the hinge's to stick the carpet to the hinge
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc