Legacy Power Drive Auto Pilot Erratic

I have a Minn Kota Legacy Power Drive with Auto Pilot. The Auto Pilot has always worked great until recently. it will still work great at higher speeds but while operating the trolling motor in Speed #1, #2, and sometimes #3, the Auto Pilot acts like it gets confused and starts moving back and forth erratically. Changing speeds will correct the problem momentarily but then it starts up again. The only way to get it to stop is too increase the speed or turn it off. Is this an adjustment setting or is my Auto Pilot starting to fail?

2. Member
    Sounds like a compass issue to me

Is it actually in legacy mode or is it in advanced auto pilot? If it's in advanced when it gets several feet off track it will intentionally crank to the target line. If your going slow with some cross wind it is not good.

I know you didnt say i pilot link, but I have my terrova and ultrex set to legacy... well I switched the sonar, and forgot to change that setting so I was encountering the issue you are, till I figured out the settings changed...

push and hold ap button till the little circle drops off of N^
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

My trolling motor is old. My auto pilot is the old compass style. I bought it used and I thought it was around a 2005 model.

I found a Minn Kota adjustment manual that provides instructions to adjust the auto pilot. It shows two styles of auto pilot boards. The manual says it is for 2001 models and newer. Apparently my trolling motor is pre-2001 as my auto pilot board looks nothing like the pics. My board is completely encapsulated with something black, it has 6 terminals, 4 on one side all in a row and 2 of the opposite side. There are 2 ribbon cables going to the compass with a small adjustment pot in front of each ribbon cable. The only number that I can find is on the compass portion and it is 299-4014 B on the top row and REL G 4606 on the bottom row.

Since I didn't have an instruction manual, I thought I would turn one of the adjustment pots (there are 2; one beside each ribbon cable) 1/4 turn. This seems to have corrected the problem for now. Apparently nothing is wrong but the board adjustments.

I would like to perform the proper set up on my trolling motor. Does anyone have an adjustment procedure for a pre 2001 model Power Drive?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by straffordengineer View Post
    Since I didn't have an instruction manual, I thought I would turn one of the adjustment pots (there are 2; one beside each ribbon cable) 1/4 turn. This seems to have corrected the problem for now. Apparently nothing is wrong but the board adjustments.
    You should go buy a lottery ticket. Better yet, go fishing.

After a little time on the internet, I have discovered my board is actually newer than I thought. Apparently my trolling motor is around a 2006. There are several iterations of my board but it seems the latest version was 288-4024. Other possible versions are 299-4003, 299-4014 (my version), 299-4023, 299-4033, and 299-4058.

Does anyone have the adjustment instructions for this board?