Braidwood kill off ??

On saturday this past weekend my son and I decided to head to braidwood to do a little bass fishing. As you know braidwood is a cooling lake so water temps arre always extreamly elevated. As we worked our way to the midlake point we came rolling up what I thought was going to be a dead catfish fighting to stay alive and it seemed to be about 10 lbs. As I got closer to it I found out it was a big Striper. I then heard my son say look there is another and another and another all of them in the 10-15 lb range. We were in a very secluded area of the lake and found about 20 dead stripers. As we worked around the lake we found about 5 more but honestly didn't cover all that much area. Does anyone have some insight to this? My thought was that the DNR Must have tried to introduce stripers back into Braidwood and they didn't respond well to the water temps being 100 degrees.

2. Member
    I know the DNR put hybrid ( wypers ) bass in there a few years back. They grow at a tremendous rate. Some of those fish kills in that place are insane. Especially around august sept.

A similar kill has become frequent at Baldwin lake in the southern part of the state. It is a coal power plant cooling lake and the temps get so hot that the fish kill is so bad they bring excavators in to the bank the wind piles them up on.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    It's normal at Braidwood.
    Please release me,let me go.

5. Member
    A little of the topic here. But what are you guys using for lures? I’ve gone to Braidwood 3 times now and been skunked every time.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
    A little of the topic here. But what are you guys using for lures? I’ve gone to Braidwood 3 times now and been skunked every time.
    I was just out yesterday and filled the boat with a mixed bag I had green ones , brown ones, and literally 3 types of cats (channel, flathead, and blue) . The key to catching fish at braidwood isn't as much about what you are throwing but more about finding the fish. If you had four rods on your boat and wanted to find fish at braidwood I would tie on these lures. Chrome/blue smaller profile rattletrap, Green pumkin ned rig on spinning, Green Pumpkin candy Craw with #3 offset hook 3/8 bullet for flippin, and Carolina rig with 3 foot leader green pumpkin baby brush hog. With water temps mid lake being 97 , try to find 92 or cooler water. yesterday I found an area that had 90 degree water and they were stacked.

I hope this helps. With that said , this year has been one of the tough bite compared to last year. Oh and all those fish jumping are actually cats.

7. Member
    @Crankin Thanks for the heads up. Heading out there tomorrow early. I’ll have to try that. Never thought to find the cooler water temp.

8. Member
    Brown fish? thats been my missing link out there. Heard and seen a 4 plus caught but I never found one
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    They are coming back pretty good find current and rock and they will be there

10. Member
    Anybody have the water temp this week?

11. Member
    I haven't even thought about going out this week. Temps have to be in the 100's.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I haven't even thought about going out this week. Temps have to be in the 100's.
    i'm thinking 110-115 south mid upper 90's north. They still bite it's all they know. The bigger question is do I want to ride around in a hull that's a hundred degrees?

13. Member
    I went out twice over the weekend best three were 11.3 and hauled in the some nice cats as well on cranks and plastic. Water temps on the hot end 107 , mid lake 99, 93 on the cool end . I found 85 degree water and guess what the fish were there.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I went out twice over the weekend best three were 11.3 and hauled in the some nice cats as well on cranks and plastic. Water temps on the hot end 107 , mid lake 99, 93 on the cool end . I found 85 degree water and guess what the fish were there.
    Nice their always there but when it's hot the fish are tougher than me. Would have thought it would be a little hotter down by the south ramp. Were you out Sunday during the downpour?
    Last edited by Kodiak16; 07-27-2019 at 04:20 PM.

15. Member
    I was out three times last week but didn't get caught in the rain.
    Hey ever fish the rookery of the Desplaines?

16. Member
    93 at south ramp. 19 north. 87 by walleye pound. Nothing but drinks and a 26 inch 15 lb blue cat.