Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    vickrey does a lot of new homes, they used to do all of simmons stuff back in the day. Honestly I have never heard anything bad about them. Good luck.

2. Member
    Just wanted to update this. Guys came out today and said it was low on Freon and showed me on the digital gauge where it was and where it was supposed to be. It didn’t need very much but they got it to the right spot. Ran great for about two hours (not constantly obviously just ran like it was supposed to) temp coming out of the vents was about 54. Then it kicked on again and ran for over an hour and didn’t shut off. I turned the thermostat up two degrees and it did the same thing for about three cycles and then started running constantly again. I let it sit for about two hours and turned it back on and it never got back to blowing cold air. Coolest I could get a reading was 67. Compressor was getting hot again so I turned on the hose and cooled it off but even with cooling the compressor down it still never started blowing cold. I’m just gonna be prepared to get told I need a new compressor tomorrow

3. Member
    My Rheem/Ruud has a 10 year warranty on the compressor.

Didn't you say yours was installed in 2012?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    My Rheem/Ruud has a 10 year warranty on the compressor.

Didn't you say yours was installed in 2012?
    It was in 2011. Only had a five year warranty

5. Member
    Turn it off until you can get a real HVAC guy out there. The run capacitor is probably on its way out, or out. The job of the run capacitor is to assist in starting the compressor, and lowering amps of the compressor while running. If it isn't working properly, the compressor will run hotter than it's supposed to. This will cause the internal temperature safety to open, which will open the compressor windings. This is a safety to protect the compressor. However once it cools down it will try and start again. If this happens too many times it will kill your compressor. It's possible the condenser is dirty too, which should be cleaned once a year just as normal maintenance. If this is not it, then it is possible the reversing valve is stuck half way between cooling and heating, which is letting hot gas from the discharge line go back to the suction line, before it travels through the condenser, and then on to the evaporator, before it returns to the compressor.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    Turn it off until you can get a real HVAC guy out there. The run capacitor is probably on its way out, or out. The job of the run capacitor is to assist in starting the compressor, and lowering amps of the compressor while running. If it isn't working properly, the compressor will run hotter than it's supposed to. This will cause the internal temperature safety to open, which will open the compressor windings. This is a safety to protect the compressor. However once it cools down it will try and start again. If this happens too many times it will kill your compressor. It's possible the condenser is dirty too, which should be cleaned once a year just as normal maintenance. If this is not it, then it is possible the reversing valve is stuck half way between cooling and heating, which is letting hot gas from the discharge line go back to the suction line, before it travels through the condenser, and then on to the evaporator, before it returns to the compressor.
    They’re coming back out today to look at it again I just hate not knowing anything about this and not knowing the people that are working on it because I don’t know if they’re checking the right thing or not. But I will have them check the capacitor when they come back out.

7. Member
    And I did just turn it off last night when it started acting up again.

8. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    My first thought is a small leak if it ran fine, then stopped running correctly.
    i mean added Freon runs fine for few hours, then doesn’t,
    probably should have pulled vacuum on lines first, would’ve took him another 30 minutes, but would’ve know for sure if there is a small leak

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    Run capacitor was my first issue when mine would run forever and not cool and not start up. Would click on and the compressor would hum, but the fan wouldnt kick on. Turns out between that and being out of freon it froze up. Replaced and recharged and I'm at 12 months without a hiccup yet.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JER-1 BIG BASS View Post
    My first thought is a small leak if it ran fine, then stopped running correctly.
    i mean added Freon runs fine for few hours, then doesn’t,
    probably should have pulled vacuum on lines first, would’ve took him another 30 minutes, but would’ve know for sure if there is a small leak
    I don’t know enough about it to speak intelligently so I may be way off but for it to run for three whole summers and with it being a heat pump the compressor also runs in the winter time so that’s three winters and just now develop a leak that would cause it bleed off enough in a couple hours to make it act up again how likely is that?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    Run capacitor was my first issue when mine would run forever and not cool and not start up. Would click on and the compressor would hum, but the fan wouldnt kick on. Turns out between that and being out of freon it froze up. Replaced and recharged and I'm at 12 months without a hiccup yet.
    Everything turns on on my unit it’s just when the compressor runs for any length of time it can’t keep up and ends up shutting off

Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    I don’t know enough about it to speak intelligently so I may be way off but for it to run for three whole summers and with it being a heat pump the compressor also runs in the winter time so that’s three winters and just now develop a leak that would cause it bleed off enough in a couple hours to make it act up again how likely is that?
    If its a big leak you could notice it in a few hours but he should have been able to tell if it was big or small. If he only added a little "refrigerant" then it points to something else. Be careful with some of the "expert" advice you get on here.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

13. Member
    So what was the verdict?
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12