Parking rig on rock or gravel ?

Hey all, looking for advice/input,

Anyone parking/storing your bass boat rig on rock or gravel ? I plan to build a garage next year where boat will be stored. Until then, trying to make a temporary home for her, protected from sun and what little rain we get. Have a good size, 12×26 enclosed canopy which should last a year no prob. This will be over dirt. Was thinkin of framing, pouring cement for wheels only, fill rest of area under/ around trailer with base rock or gravel. Cement would be discarded though at garage build time. Now wondering of any negatives from parking trailer on rock or gravel for this period,no cement. Base rock or gravel can then be incorporated into garage build, no waste.

Thanks for any input!

~Tony

2. Member
    Only problem that I could maybe see is with the boat sitting in one position on the gravel for long periods of time that any sharp edges in the gravel could be detrimental to the trailer tires if something like bluestone. I know my brother poured cement pads for his tires and had bluestone gravel in the middle to cut down on mud splashing and didn't have any issues, but he did have a 5th wheel trailer that sat for very long periods of time.

I had mine parked on just grass but that became a muddy mess, put down mulch which was good for awhile. Eventually went asphalt when had driveway redone, now having issues with boat creating sinkhole in asphalt.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

My boats sits in a portable type shelter with stone. A concrete pad with a permanent structure big enough to work on the boat would be nice, but due to the zoning laws and amount of space I have I make do with what I have. No problems being on stone except when trying to jack up the trailer to work on the hubs. I've had this set up for 19 years.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

I have an enclosed utility trailer that has been parked on gravel next to the garage for 7 years and never saw any problems with the tires. It is shaded, but not coverd like your plan.

5. Member
    I would consider getting either pavers or prepoured concrete slabs for your wheels and jack stand. They make them in differing sizes that can be manually carried. I would temporarily bury them level with the gravel. You can buy as many as you think you need for proper sizing. You could then remove them when you want to do something different. Fairly inexpensive and flexible.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Member
    Thanks All !

Input much appreciated! Chaut. Hadn't considered prepoured, nice option and within the plan of no waste.
    Thanks all!

~Tony

7. Member
    I've had boats stored on my side yard (dirt) for 30 plus years. 5 pavers, one for each wheel and 1 for jack stand. Never a problem.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Mine sits under a canopy, and I just put down a bunch of 1/2” plywood on the ground under the whole
    thing. Haven’t changed it in 3 years, and it still is in good shape, and I leave the wood out there all winter long under 3’ of snow ( boat is in a storage shed all winter). Works great to keep the rain from splashing up on the boat, and if you need to move the whole thing, it only would take a few minutes to move it.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

9. Member
    Thanks all ! Much appreciated.

~Tony