Removing passenger console on a 16 Cougar?

I ran a search, but could only come up with a couple of really old (2012) threads on this. Has anyone been able to come up with a way to remove the console in their BC without damaging it? Was there ever a kit made to convert it to a removable? I would really like to remove the passenger console, but I don't want to damage the gel. I'm sure I could come up with an attractive way to cover the holes if necessary.

THANKS!
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    It can be done. Just take it slow. There are bolts that hold it into the front deck (accessible through the glove box) as well as toward the side of the boat. Use a wood shim to pry it loose from the adhesive. The older threads do explain how to do it. I'm not certain you can convert it to a removeable console. Might call BCB and ask or maybe your dealer can tell you.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Member
    Thanks billius! i don't have a BC dealer any where near me. I drove from SC to Illinois to get this one. Mr. Weed handles all of my service work. Hopefully BCB will chime in.....
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

Chris, go over the BassCat owners forum or call Alan in parts. He can tell you if there's a kit to retrofit. A lot of guys have pulled there consoles, so I don't think it's going to be that hard. Like Bill says, go slow. Here's a video removing the factory removable console to show how that style mounts:

5. Member
    Brownmaniac
    I don't believe you can convert the regular passenger console to the quick removable type.
    There should be 3 bolts holding the forward section of the console. The nuts should be accessible thru the port locker.
    There will be 3 bolts thru the left side of the console (I believe at the bottom). These nuts are accessible by removing the black round panel (4 screws) and going thru the access hole behind it.
    Once off. Remove the silicone. You can use auto interior plugs to fill the holes. When painting the plug to match gelcoat I have seen some use auto paint or fingernail polish to get the colors close.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    I just removed my passenger console yesterday using the wooden door shims . Came up with this idea after I was all done and could see what was involved and posted it at the basscat web site .

Following suggestions posted here I used the thin door shim wedges and wiggled the console with the bolts out until it came loose . Looked like just regular old RTV silicone was the bonding agent . I tried inserting a long thin snap knife blade between the console and deck to slice the RTV but don't know if that helped or not . I came up with this idea today when I was cleaning the silicone from the gelcoat .

I noticed there were gaps in the RTV and it wasn't a continuous bead on the console . I am wondering if you could use a strong piece of braided fishing line 50-65 # ? tied on two wooden pieces of dowel rod for handles and get it started between the console and deck with the bolts removed and working the braid back and forth to saw thru the silicone bond like a wire cheese slicer . I don't think it would hurt the gelcoat and being flexible it would go around corners and tight angles easier . The next person removing a console should try this out and post a report on if this works or not . Thanks , Ken

7. Banned
    Removed console here back in the day. Unbolted it and just pulled it off. Its nothing but silicone seal to prevent water from running behind it. Done it on a couple of boats.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Brownmaniac
    I don't believe you can convert the regular passenger console to the quick removable type.
    There should be 3 bolts holding the forward section of the console. The nuts should be accessible thru the port locker.
    There will be 3 bolts thru the left side of the console (I believe at the bottom). These nuts are accessible by removing the black round panel (4 screws) and going thru the access hole behind it.
    Once off. Remove the silicone. You can use auto interior plugs to fill the holes. When painting the plug to match gelcoat I have seen some use auto paint or fingernail polish to get the colors close.
    I used testers model paint

9. Member
    thanks guys, going to try it Saturday. I'll try the line trick if it's stuck. Gel coats white so it shouldn't be hard to match
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Got it off without any damage, but......... I think they must have had Ray Charles installing the consoles back in 16. 5 bolts and 9 holes and a small crack in the gel! ordered a couple of dome stickers to cover up all the holes
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Glad you got it removed!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs