Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium use on Pro XS?

I have a 2011 200hp Pro XS and kicking around the idea of replacing my 2-Optima D31M's that weigh in at 120# for a single 125AH Lithium from lithiumhub.com that weigh only 35#.

As I am researching I am finding that Mercury states to use ONLY lead acid AGM type batteries on "new motors".

Question of the day is do I have a "NEW" motor and/or can I use Lithium cranking battery on my 2011 200hp Pro XS?

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

2. Member
    I know several that run lith on optis
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I ran 100ah Relion lithiums on two different ProXS 2 STROKES (200 and 250hp). The 4 stroke versions require the AGM. They worked just fine and IMO, stronger throughout the day than AGMs. The ONLY issue I had on the 250 was the first start of the day when air temps were below 45 degrees, the motor would drag a little then fire. It was perfect after that. The strange thing was if I started it up, immediately shut it down, the second start was normal.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Good to know that others are running them with no problem but want to make certain before dropping 1K on a single battery.

Next question is the charger.
    I have a 4-bank MinnKota charger that unless the boat is in the water is plugged in to maintain full batteries at all times. Can I continue to do this with 3 AGM's for trolling and then the single lithium for cranking?

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

5. Member
    I would consult minnkota or batt manufacture on that, I know some chargers have to be reformatted for lithiums
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    There's a current topic in the 3L forum (what your engine is) on this exact concern.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    There's a current topic in the 3L forum (what your engine is) on this exact concern.
    THANK YOU! I will go there now and check it out!

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

For anyone else that ends up here for the same reason here is the suggested thread provided by SilverFox579: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=994203

Please correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like if you have a mechanical shift engine you are able to run Lithium cranking batteries, the problem with lithium arises when used with an electronic shifted engine.

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

9. Member
    Good question to ask in the 3L forum, this one is for engines 1.5L and smaller.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Good question to ask in the 3L forum, this one is for engines 1.5L and smaller.
    ???
    i was in the 3L forum like I thought you said is where it was. Have to think the technology is the the same just put behind a different power head.

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    I would consult minnkota or batt manufacture on that, I know some chargers have to be reformatted for lithiums
    Reached out to both and still waiting for a reply.

Not a genius when it comes to electrical but know enough to get myself into trouble and with enough time back out.

Common sense tells me that the charger may not work with a completely different battery technology but if that is the case then why wouldn't the motor charging system also have to be changed? They are both doing essentially the exact same thing - charging a depleted battery up to a full charge state and then stop charging until needed again.

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

12. Member
    This forum, Mercury Motors, is not the 3L forum, Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance. If you post in this forum you'll eventually be asked to post in the appropriate one and get a "Engine posts in appropriate forum please" message from the moderator/s. Don might even move this topic into the 3L forum.

The same pros answer questions in most all forums, and there are are some really smart guys here that only follow posts for engines in the engine specific forum, I'm just trying help get you to the right place, where someone who might know the answer will see and and respond to questions as fast as possible, nothing more.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Thank you for that. The post I read was the 3L post you referenced but guessing that is not what I have? (200 hp Pro XS) what then Litre is mine that I should be posting in?? Just trying to stay in Dons good side LOL!

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

Heard back from Minn Kota:

Q: My Charger is MK-460D Model: 1824605. I would like to replace my Cranking Battery with a Lithium and keep my 3 AGM trolling batteries until they fail and then also switch them to Lithiums at that time. Will my charger allow me to do this??

A:
    It will, however it may not have the correct perimeters for the batteries, the PC charger is better for that as it will let you set the correct setting.

Still waiting to hear from lithiumhub and now questioning if the lithiums have something built in to set the "correct perimeters" (whatever that could be) and what harm could be done to the lithium running the existing charger?

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

Relion folks told me to either use the MinnKota PC series set on AGM or a Dual Pro with Lithium profile.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Relion folks told me to either use the MinnKota PC series set on AGM or a Dual Pro with Lithium profile.
    That was what Minn Kota recommended to me as well (without the Dual Pro option of course)

Further reading tells me that my MK-460D 'should' be self sensing and will work but will not give me a full charge. Lithium Hub is rumored to release a 4 bank lithium charger next spring. Might just get a single lithium charger for my cranking lithium when I get it and wait until spring to replace my trolling batteries with lithium and spring for their 4 bank lithium charger once it's out.

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

Doing lots of other reading on different threads here and just realized that drew-tek.com is where we should be buying our lithiums from.

He is a BBC Sponsor so to show my support that is where mine will be coming from and hoping others are doing the same.

Now that I am narrowing down my decision and about ready to pull the trigger it appears that my 3-50ah and 1-125ah are now out of stock. DOH

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

Roy at Wackyriggers is a BBC sponsor and makes trays for the lithium sizes too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Thanks.
    Found his website but is VERY limited info and nothing about any battery trays.
    Last edited by DVHammer; 07-15-2019 at 05:39 AM.

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DVHammer View Post
    Thank you for that. The post I read was the 3L post you referenced but guessing that is not what I have? (200 hp Pro XS) what then Litre is mine that I should be posting in?? Just trying to stay in Dons good side LOL!
    Your 2011 200 ProXS is a 3L engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast