G2 Evinrude Please help!!

So I am at a loss of words. I am on my second year running a g2 250. I have had multiple problems with it. all have been covered under warranty....I have started a case with Evinrude but have gotten zero results as far as i am concerned. I am really hoping there is someone here who has a connection in the company that can help me get into contact with someone that can actually get a result. I know I am being vague in this post, I do not want to post the whole history here because I love the motor. But this many repairs, and the situations it has left me in and this much down time is causing a lot of problems as you can imagine.
    Last edited by Amechelke; 07-07-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    2016 PHOENIX 920 PROXP
    2016 EVINDRUDE G2

Email the serial number, dealer name and your info to http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    Yes, case is already started. I am trying to find some connection beyond customer service team. I will be calling them again tomorrow am. candy in after purchase care is excellent.
    2016 PHOENIX 920 PROXP
    2016 EVINDRUDE G2

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amechelke View Post
    Yes, case is already started. I am trying to find some connection beyond customer service team. I will be calling them again tomorrow am. candy in after purchase care is excellent.
    I can't help with your G2 but Candy was awesome when I was dealing with an ancient Ficht recall issue. I'd call her again tomorrow and see what she has figured out.

As a G2 owner, I'm very disappointed to hear your multitude of problems have not been resolved and still ongoing. We all know you can't put a price on lost time and the longer it goes on the more value it has. I hope this is situation is resolved in your favor soon!

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Being vague and no serial number to see the history won't be much help here except to know you are having issues. As Seahorse said open up a ticket but you stated you have already done so.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Being vague and no serial number to see the history won't be much help here except to know you are having issues. As Seahorse said open up a ticket but you stated you have already done so.
    SERIAL #: 05464450 MODEL : E250LHAGB
    I HAVE ABOUT 2 PAGES TYPED OF THE HISTORY FROM WHEN I PICKED UP THE BOAT.
    HERE ARE THE WORK ORDERS, NOT INCLUDING THE SWIVEL SECTION REPLACEMENT
    OR THE 2ND TIME THE BOAT HAS STALLED WHILE TRAVELING 40 MPH+ (HAPPENED 7/7/19) THEY HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THAT PROBLEM AS OF YET.
    2016 PHOENIX 920 PROXP
    2016 EVINDRUDE G2

8. Member
    Shutting down at speed is a common issue with a certain type of key switch that was installed on many G2 engines in 2016 and is no longer recommended for use with G2 engines.

If your dealership hasn't updated your key switch the the latest version with the grey sleeve around the wires then they should do so.

I have also heard of cases were EMI in the fuel level circuit has caused shut down issues. If you unplug the fuel sender from the control head and run it a while and the problem goes away the dealer may need to run a shielded duplex wire between the tank and control head.

I have also seen wires improperly installed in the main control head connector, havent seen it cause shut down issues but id image it could.

Service bulletin 2018-17(S) describes the key switch update. Ask your dealer to check if yours has been updated to the latest gray-sleeved key switch.
    Last edited by SEAHORSE; 07-12-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Member
    I have had the key switch replaced once. I am so far very lucky to only have spun out the boat once. This just reoccurred on 7/7/19. I feel fortunate to not have been hurt yet. when this motor is running and nothing is causing a problem it is amazing.. but I have only witnessed this for a very short time. otherwise it has been in the shop for repair, waiting on parts. or new fault.
    2016 PHOENIX 920 PROXP
    2016 EVINDRUDE G2

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amechelke View Post
    I have had the key switch replaced once. I am so far very lucky to only have spun out the boat once. This just reoccurred on 7/7/19. I feel fortunate to not have been hurt yet. when this motor is running and nothing is causing a problem it is amazing.. but I have only witnessed this for a very short time. otherwise it has been in the shop for repair, waiting on parts. or new fault.
    Explain this boat spin out you speak of.

12. Member
    Heading up river doing about 60 mph while turning one bend in the river.. power cuts, bow drops back into the water. as bow catches more water back end wants to follow its path spinning the boat. I was able to straighten boat out before it spun all the way around.. but that caused us to almost run up into the bank.
    2016 PHOENIX 920 PROXP
    2016 EVINDRUDE G2

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It's called bow hook, I'll bet you had some extreme pucker factor when that happened. I know I would. Doing it intentionally is one thing but when you don't expect it, it gets your attention.

14. Member
    Isn’t bow hook more the design of the boat? I have a 520c with a G2 and it happens a lot.
    My old 520 vx never did it.

15. Member
    Just about any boat will experience bow hook if running at 60mph then having immediate and complete loss of power. I am rather troubled by your experience with the G2 as I am coming off a bad one myself with my 2013 Etec. Replaced a power head, two gear cases, all of the injectors, starter, several other things I can’t remember right now and now two years after warrenty I have another blown power head and only around 500 hours on the whole more and maybe 200 on this new power head. I was still considering that G2 If they offer the 10years but with a little research I am finding more and more people with problems.
    2013 Ranger Z521 250E-Tech H.O.
    hawghuntersbassclub.org

16. Scraps
    This is certainly disappointing and brings back bad memories for me. Though I do like everything I hear about the G motors and will look hard at them along with the SHO.

I bought new technology back in 1998, Johnson 175 Ficht. Me and a buddy ordered new boats at the same time, same motor. We both had problems. His engine ended up blowing a powerhead and he started a case and kept after Johnson. Ended up with a 1999 motor and then traded the boat. Mine got all the updates and ended up running for 18yrs suffering nothing but defects due to operator error. My engine was reliable. But I had a tough time trading it three years ago.

So as tough as it might be now, when you're supposed to be enjoying your boat, keep after them to resolve all the problems to your satisfaction. You don't want to create your own regrets down the road.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD