Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helix DI problem after Ultrex install

Installed an Ultrex on my boat yesterday, it's the newest one with the built in MEGA DI transducer. I appear to be getting sonar, but seem to have no DI signal whatsoever (the DI screen is just black/blank). I've toggled through every menu page & option I can think of trying to perhaps select that transducer, but I don't even see a choice for anything of the sort??? I have a Helix 9 at the bow and a 10 at the console, both G2N.

I bought the MKR-MDI-1 adapter cable.

I also downloaded the i-Pilot and i-Pilot Link apps to my phone (cannot get them to show up on my Helix....I have no menu item named "i-Pilot" and when I do an accessory test it reads "unconnected". However that may not have diddly squat to do with the lack of a DI signal. Y'all got any ideas???
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

Did the change the Connected Transducer setting to Built-in HW+MDI?

Is your Helix 9 a CHIRP MEGA DI unit or just a CHIRP DI unit?

Did you check the Minnkota MDI compatibility list?
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/compatibility/Built-In-MEGA-DI

Do you have the trolling motor deployed trying to get iPilot communication?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

What Helix 10 G2N do you have?
    There are four 9's and four 10's.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

One more thing, is your unit/s updated to even use the MDI transducer?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    About the TM being deployed to communicate with i-Pilot, yes.

My 10 is a G2N Chirp MEGA SI
    My 9 is just G2N Chirp DI (no MEGA)...but I still had DI with the Humminbird included transducer.

What I'm confused about is that I don't even show an option for "Built-in HW+MDI" transducer.
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

6. Member
    I'm running the most recent software update 1.900
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

7. Member
    I'm really just wanting the 9 upfront to communicate with the Ultrex ducer, the 10 runs off it's own at the transom.
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

PM sent
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Wayne may have covered this but for the Link to show connected on Accessory View requires ethernet access and the TM powered on (can be stowed but power switch must be on). If it was powered on and not showing connected then may need to check ethernet connection or power to ethernet switch. Note: The phone apps would not show on the FF.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Wayne may have covered this but for the Link to show connected on Accessory View requires ethernet access and the TM powered on (can be stowed but power switch must be on). If it was powered on and not showing connected then may need to check ethernet connection or power to ethernet switch. Note: The phone apps would not show on the FF.
    Thanks I did not cover that. Just some info about the MDI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    What Wayne helped me discover is that my Helix 9 is not "Mega", therefore it isn't compatible with the new MK built-in mega transducer.

So I have a piggy-back question.... I have an offer to buy a Solix 12 from a friend, it IS compatible with the new motor. But I'm wondering if any of my existing wires (from the Helix 9) will work on the Solix? I wouldn't need anything really except my power connection and my ethernet cable coming from the back unit. Remember the transducer will come straight from the Minn Kota. (I would just swap it out with the back unit, but it doesn't have a transducer and I'm trying to be cheap and not buy one for it. THAT's why I'd put it up front, at least for now)
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by JDRanger View Post
    What Wayne helped me discover is that my Helix 9 is not "Mega", therefore it isn't compatible with the new MK built-in mega transducer.

So I have a piggy-back question.... I have an offer to buy a Solix 12 from a friend, it IS compatible with the new motor. But I'm wondering if any of my existing wires (from the Helix 9) will work on the Solix? I wouldn't need anything really except my power connection and my ethernet cable coming from the back unit. Remember the transducer will come straight from the Minn Kota. (I would just swap it out with the back unit, but it doesn't have a transducer and I'm trying to be cheap and not buy one for it. THAT's why I'd put it up front, at least for now)
    The MDI transducer has the SOLIX transducer plug. That is what you had to convert to connect to the Helix.

Ethernet cable is the same, don't need the AS EC QDE adapter.

To connect an external GPS antenna, you need the AS GPS NMEA adapter.

Power cable is very different. PC-11 for the Helix and PC-12 for the SOLIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    So I bought that Solix and installed it. Two main problems I'm having:

First, and MOST important, the transducer cable from the Minn Kota Ultrex is hooked directly into the Solix, but it doesn't recognize it at all. I assumed it would automatically show up as a selectable transducer (with some sort of recognize name like "MK MDI" or something). It doesn't show me any such thing. I've forgotten what it's titled now, but it's something like Solix internal or local?? Anyway, I don't think it's recognizing the Ultrex ducer?? Any insight?

Next, and not a deal breaker, I've got my ethernet cable hooked straight to both the Solix 12 and the Helix 10, but neither one shows the other one in the network. If they'll share waypoints, then I'm fine with that, but I don't even know yet if they're talking to each other.

Google and Humminbird's own website have been NO help in either matter.
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

The first generation SOLIX has to have somewhat current software to do HW CHIRP.

The Humminbird MDI transducer has Auto Detect and will set the unit to use it.
    The Minnkota MDI transducer may not have Auto Detect, so you may have to do it manually.
    The transducer setting is Auto Configuration OFF
    2D Frequency Cabability is HB High CHIRP
    DI Frequency Capability is 455/800/MEGA kHz.

Waypoints share with no settings, just happens IF your Ethernet cable connection is good.
    Waypoints are the only thing you can share between Helix and SOLIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The first generation SOLIX has to have somewhat current software to do HW CHIRP.

The Humminbird MDI transducer has Auto Detect and will set the unit to use it.
    The Minnkota MDI transducer may not have Auto Detect, so you may have to do it manually.
    The transducer setting is Auto Configuration OFF
    2D Frequency Cabability is HB High CHIRP
    DI Frequency Capability is 455/800/MEGA kHz.

Waypoints share with no settings, just happens IF your Ethernet cable connection is good.
    Waypoints are the only thing you can share between Helix and SOLIX.
    That's what I was seeing, so you confirmed what I thought. I'll just take the boat out on the water and see if it works.
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

17. Member
    Well, I'm about to the point of just pushing my whole boat off a cliff

Doggoneit, I should've just bought another Helix instead.... I still have ZERO DI signal from the Ultrex to the Solix at the bow, just black screens. I've got sonar, but no DI. (I still don't understand why I don't see a choice for "MDI transducer" or something like that????)

Now I've discovered another dang problem.... I have a puck mounted near the console for my Helix 10, and I was always able to network it to the Helix I had up front too, but apparently this Solix won't share it. The map on the Solix is totally screwed up while sitting still, so unless any of y'all have a solution for that I'll have to buy ANOTHER puck dedicated for the Solix. But this new Minn Kota Ultrex has a puck, so my boat's gonna look like a puck factory!
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

If you have the iPilot LINK motor, you can use the Minnkota Heading Sensor for your displays.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you have the iPilot LINK motor, you can use the Minnkota Heading Sensor for your displays.
    I used to not think I was this "tech stupid" (LOL), but I don't know if my motor is "LINK" or not. Frankly I've never understood what LINK was... it seemed dumb to have something called "i-Pilot" and then a separate "i-Pilot Link". What's the difference, and how do I know what I've got? I'm going to assume I do NOT have Link, because you'd think a top of the line trolling motor and fishfinder would do more than they're currently doing.

I technically only bought the Ultrex for SpotLock, and secondarily to get a built-in transducer (the Fortrex that came on my boat didn't have it), anything else it did or didn't do was incidental.
    2016 Ranger Z519
    Mercury 225 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by JDRanger View Post
    I used to not think I was this "tech stupid" (LOL), but I don't know if my motor is "LINK" or not. Frankly I've never understood what LINK was... it seemed dumb to have something called "i-Pilot" and then a separate "i-Pilot Link". What's the difference, and how do I know what I've got? I'm going to assume I do NOT have Link, because you'd think a top of the line trolling motor and fishfinder would do more than they're currently doing.

I technically only bought the Ultrex for SpotLock, and secondarily to get a built-in transducer (the Fortrex that came on my boat didn't have it), anything else it did or didn't do was incidental.
    If you have an iPilot LINK motor, you have two cables attached to top of the motor. One of them is an Ethernet cable, that is the LINK that would connect to the display/s. The other cable is the transducer cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast