White Bass vs. Largemouth

The top is white bass and bottom is largemouth. Hard to tell the difference.

Last edited by janky; 07-11-2019 at 01:04 PM.

2. Member
    It is hard to tell. Target size is so related to size of fish, distance from transducer etc. But i do know that schools of fish can have various species of fish in the same school. Years ago while trying to learn to use my 997, I was marking a good school of fish in 7-8' of water on a flat. I was marking them very well, but could not get them to bite. After a while, I pulled out my cast net that I use to catch bait for catfishing, eased up to them and tossed it. In the net were big shad, bream, crappie and small catfish, all at the same time. So really, you never really know for sure.

3. Member
    The only way I know is I caught a couple from each school. Dropshot in the largemouth and a wing ding on the white bass.

4. Member
    Drop a spoon down and catch whatever is there. A few years ago at this time of year I stopped at a main lake point leading into three large creeks. Saw a bunch of fish on the graph. Me and partner started vertical spooning the area. From about 20 ft deep near bank to about 40 ft over standing timber in 105 ft of water further out from the point. Fished about an hour and a half and lost about 5 spoons on the bottom but caught around 70 fish of nine different specie. Largemouth, smallmouth, Spots, white bass, hybrid bass, walleye, catfish, bluegill and black crappie. Great day! If it hadn't been for my HB 998c HD 83/200 2D sonar (at the time) we would never have had that great of a day. Running two Helix 10s now.

5. Member
    If you're out trying to target a specific species of fish, its tough to always know by the fish finder. Have caught carp, stripers, bluegill, crappie, catfish, trout, SM and LGM bass on a senko thinking it was bass on the FF...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Drop a spoon down and catch whatever is there. A few years ago at this time of year I stopped at a main lake point leading into three large creeks. Saw a bunch of fish on the graph. Me and partner started vertical spooning the area. From about 20 ft deep near bank to about 40 ft over standing timber in 105 ft of water further out from the point. Fished about an hour and a half and lost about 5 spoons on the bottom but caught around 70 fish of nine different specie. Largemouth, smallmouth, Spots, white bass, hybrid bass, walleye, catfish, bluegill and black crappie. Great day! If it hadn't been for my HB 998c HD 83/200 2D sonar (at the time) we would never have had that great of a day. Running two Helix 10s now.
    what kind of magical spoon was that?

7. Member
    K-T spoons. 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz. She went out of business a year or so ago. I'd love to get back all of her spoons I've lost over the years.

8. Member
    heavier than i thought.
    anything compare to them now?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    heavier than i thought.
    anything compare to them now?
    Still have two K-T spoons in 1/2 and 3/4 oz. But I've started using Cotton-Cordell "dimpled" chromed jigging spoons as well as War Eagle jigging spoons. Not as effective, probably because they lack the holographic effect. There is a bait & tackle shop near me that the owner decided to build his own spoons to replace the demand for K-T spoons. He sells them but the last time we talked a couple weeks ago, he hadn't perfected the silver K-T spoon that I like in 1/2 oz size. He's also a walleye guide and uses these himself.

https://m.facebook.com/arkansasbaits...02366369969980

Solid DI images! What model Helix unit?

11. Member
    Helix 10 G2. Never updated.

12. Member
    Drop a spoon down and catch whatever is there.

That's the way I did it when I had my first sonar. (Humminbird Super Thirty II)

Still have two K-T spoons in 1/2 and 3/4 oz. But I've started using Cotton-Cordell "dimpled" chromed jigging spoons as well as War Eagle jigging spoons. Not as effective, probably because they lack the holographic effect. There is a bait & tackle shop near me that the owner decided to build his own spoons to replace the demand for K-T spoons. He sells them but the last time we talked a couple weeks ago, he hadn't perfected the silver K-T spoon that I like in 1/2 oz size. He's also a walleye guide and uses these himself.

https://m.facebook.com/arkansasbaits...02366369969980
    Maybe you could try cutting some of this kind of stuff to stick on .... there are other types available. https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Reali...07BFTGGJ5&th=1
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Maybe you could try cutting some of this kind of stuff to stick on .... there are other types available. https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Reali...07BFTGGJ5&th=1
    OR some of these and they won't come off--- no super glue needed:

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/reflector-tape-eyes/
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Thanks Bob and Wayne. This tape may be just the ticket. Still have a couple of K-T spoons but the reflective sides are really torn up.