Thread: AGM battery

AGM battery

On the general forum board and regarding a Suzuki issue, it was mentioned that an AGM battery should not be used for a starter battery. Anyone have any knowledge of what this would be about, is it just for Suzuki, or is this just less than knowledgeable conversation?

2. Member
    I'm using an AGM battery and don't have any issues. It's hard to find a normal wet cell battery that meets the minimum specs and still be able to run graphs all day unless you dedicate your electronics to it's own battery which is pointless. Personally, I'd talk to your dealer about it and see what they say.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Suzuki’s official position is that AGM’s are not recommended. As to why, no-one knows for sure. As Kev found with his issues, if there is any doubt about a problem the first thing Suzuki will require is a non AGM battery to be installed.

Regarding running 2 batteries .....

I dont know much about bassboats, but all of us who run bay and offshore boats run with 2 batteries, one dedicated for starting and one house battery. This is far from a pointless arrangement.

Nearly all my friends and fishing club members use a battery switch arrangement incorporating a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) that automatically manages the charging of both batteries while the engine is running and separates them when it is turned off.

They are very common and well proven systems. And have many advantages, including protecting sensitive electronics from spikes when engines are started, ensuring that house loads can never run the start battery flat, and providing the ability to parallel batteries in the event that the start battery fails.

Here is the one that is installed on my boat:
    http://www.bepmarine.com/en/716-h-140a-dvsr

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I'm using an AGM battery and don't have any issues. It's hard to find a normal wet cell battery that meets the minimum specs and still be able to run graphs all day unless you dedicate your electronics to it's own battery which is pointless. Personally, I'd talk to your dealer about it and see what they say.
    booter, as per your suggestion did just that. He has a position that is 50/50. Dealt with both wet cells and sealed. Main concern is that the minimum specs are met for proper engine performancee. Thanks. Closer to pulling the trigger on the 250SS.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger492vs1 View Post
    booter, as per your suggestion did just that. He has a position that is 50/50. Dealt with both wet cells and sealed. Main concern is that the minimum specs are met for proper engine performancee. Thanks. Closer to pulling the trigger on the 250SS.
    Good to hear. Besides going the expensive route with a lithium battery (not sure if Suzuki's are even compatible), the only other thing I can think of is getting two group 27's batteries and wire them in parallel. Therefore you will always have enough cranking juice and battery lift for your electronics. Luckily Suzuki's are not that hard cranking compared to Mercury's.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

6. Member
    One thing I love about my 200SS is the fact that it has the capability of charging two batteries with a factory harness as well as a built in battery isolator.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

7. Banned
    my Polar Kraft 195, with a Suzuki 140A came with a 2 cranking battery setup. both wet cells.

battery setup.jpg