I f*d up.... I need som I expert rod advice

So, not paying attention, I smashed the handle on my Rainshadow Eternity rod in the locker. Luckily it was the split grip and the reel seat going up is ok. I even was able to continue using it and caught several fish including a 4lber with no issues.
    I was thinking of wrapping the whole split grip and hoping the thread finish would strengthen it back up.
    What do you think?

David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Goby King
    I'd cut that off, insert a piece of blank to reinforce it internally, do a thread wrap over the entire area and finish it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    I'd cut that off, insert a piece of blank to reinforce it internally, do a thread wrap over the entire area and finish it.
    where would you cut it? Do you think that would play with balance too much?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

4. Goby King
    Probably right in front of the butt grip. It will add some butt weight, but shouldn't be that bad.

5. Member
    I would do what shfishinsticks said to do except instead of the plain thread wrap i would use a simple dragon scale threadwrap to spice it up.

https://blog.mudhole.com/3-simple-wa.../#.XSIsOOhKjIU

6. Member
    I'm gonna try using a heat gun and pull the butt cap off and inserting a rod piece that way instead of cutting
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

7. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    I'm gonna try using a heat gun and pull the butt cap off and inserting a rod piece that way instead of cutting
    If you used rod bond, that probably won't work. Drill through the end of the butt cap, insert a piece of blank, and put a new butt plug in it.

8. Member
    If you used rod bond, that probably won't work. Drill through the end of the butt cap, insert a piece of blank, and put a new butt plug in it.
    I scraped off the butt. I do have a different one I can replace it with. However, I don't have a broken rod piece that is big enough diameter to insert. Any other alternative idea?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

9. Member
    I would take that rod out of service until you can find some broken rods or cheap rods to fix it properly. Garage sales, Craigslist, are good places to find cheap rods. You could also call around to local sporting goods stores and see if they have something broken you can get for free or on the cheap. If you were closer i could give you some rods that would work for repairs like yours. Call around to your buds and see if any of them have broken rods.

10. Goby King
    Yep. What he said ^. Yard sales.

11. Member
    No worries I have fixed a couple of mine. I Just cut mine and insert as other have mentioned a scarp piece. It did not effect a thing on mine. On the last one I took and old butt and attached it to the rod. I did not over wrap. I don't look for beauty I look for function and they work.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

12. Member
    I'd also do this, and then build a handle grip like this to cover any imperfections -

https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/...b-specter.html

I never throw any old blanks or pieces away. If you’ll let me know the diameter and length you need I very well may have something to fit inside it.

14. Member
    Call them manufacturer and explain what happened you might just get a surprise.

15. Member
    Cut the broken area out. Insert a piece of graphite 3 to 4" into the remaining section of butt using rod bond to glue. If you want a split grip use eitjer marbling, dragon scale wrap, or any other decorative wrap to concel this area. You can also just build a full length handle on the new section as well.

16. Member
    If you have scraped off the butt and don't have anything that will fit inside, can you find something to fit over the broken area. I've fixed rods both ways. A piece of aluminum over the break works well. Use tape to create arbors so the aluminum fits the taper, just like when installing a reel seat. Put on the new butt. Then paint, wrap, or skin it.

17. Member
    Also remember seeing an adjustable length butt system, maybe a Mudhole video? Made of aluminum. Don't know if it could be retrofitted to your situation.

18. Member
    Post the ID and length you need, I've got a ton of scrap blank pieces in the shop.

19. Member
    I actually used a wooden dowel and built up the thickness as needed and glued in from the end, then wrapped the whole exterior. It has all the regitity and you can't tell I smashed it.
    I'm very happy how it turned out. If I let anyone use it they'd never know. And it did not negatively affect the balance

Thanks for all the advice
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man