New 250 4 stroke horn when starting

2b644515
    So I've just purchased a new boat and really didnt pay any attention until today cause my engine has been trimmed all the way down for break in..but if my engine is not trimmed all the way down it will not horn beep once when u turn the key...is this a saftey feature or a problem for me...I would look for myself but some1 forgot to put my Manual in my boat b4 I left...thanks guys
    2020 721 250 mercury 4 stroke

2. Member
    Mine does the same thing. If I trim down, horn will not sound but engine will start. Weird.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Mine does the same thing. If I trim down, horn will not sound but engine will start. Weird.
    Exactly opposite of the Original Poster's description.

Warning horn should sound a test-beep a Key-Up.

Keep in mind- the engine must be OFF for a period of time, OR you must shift to REVERSE/WOT to power down the MPR.

V6 and V8 "Mechanical" engines still function just like a DTS engine model (aside from the mechanical controls).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    In my ranger, which requires pressing the start button instead of a key, once to power and once to crank, I find it will not beep if I have operated the trim (up or down) right before pressing the start button the first time. I can tell it is good to go because the smart craft gauge turns on after pressing start the first time. Press start the second time and the engine fires right up. If I do not have to raise or lower engine just prior to starting I get the single test beep. I have read this is happening to many if not all PRO XS 4 strokes for whatever reason.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047