Thread: Shift lever

Shift lever

TToday while getting ready to load my boat 2015 BassCat puma 250 pro xs sn 2b111922 my shift lever got stuck in the forward position. I turned the key off so I could get stopped to see what was gong on and after jiggling the handle got it back in neutral and restarted and everything worked properly. Did I do something wrong here or is there some maintenance I need to be doing to the lever? The motor still has warranty remaining if that matter. Thanks.

Make sure the throttle is allways returning to full idle position, if not this will happen. Check hotfoot for interference such as old baits or debris
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Also (posted on the BCB forum) check the shift switch on the linkage. This causes a momentary interruption in engine power so that the clutch dogs will disengage. With normal pressure applied, you aren't going to move 'em.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Check the screws on backside of hand throttle where it pivots. Might of backed out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Check the screws on backside of hand throttle where it pivots. Might of backed out.
    +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Thanks so I need to take the side plate off where it mounts to gunnel or can I see them with it in place?

7. Member
    nope remove handle they come in from back on shift handle 2 screws hold lil plate on, on some model controls
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Most likely item.

BTW... Warranty on this engine expired 8/28/17. It's under a Gold Product Protection Plan until 8/28/19.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks. Are these the two small allen head screws on the back of the handle? If so what is the best way to tighten them? I did look and both screws are still in place.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Small allen wrench, with handle removed. Personally- I add a small "dot" of Red Liquid Loctite to the threads.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Small allen wrench, with handle removed. Personally- I add a small "dot" of Red Liquid Loctite to the threads.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    Got it. Thanks for the help. The screws where a little loose. Thanks again.