Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

225 EFI Not Turning Over

I have not had any trouble with my 2001 225 EFI for some time now. I have had OTHER problems but not the Merc. My EFI has let me down two times this week. On Thursday, I backed the boat down the ramp and nothing happened. I got the motor to trim so I could put the transom saver on but it would stop working, too. I took it home, monkeyed with it for a few minutes, tightened the wing nut on the positive side of the battery and everything started working. I bumped the key this morning before we left the house and the motor turned over. It started right up at the ramp. Everything was okay after about 3 hours of fishing. I ran the boat around the lake to cool us off and I thought the motor sounded odd. Turned the motor off and tried to start it again. Nothing. I dropped the trolling motor and took us back to the ramp, which was close by. Put the boat back on the trailer and went home. When we got home, I made sure the shifter was in neutral and made sure the kill switch was engaged. The starter battery has 13 volts. I put my load meter on it and it says it is good. Nothing. I can hear something at the motor but I am not sure what it is. I will get up early tomorrow and start checking things out. There is a fuse on the side of the motor that I will check. I will check cables. After that, I am up for suggestions.Any input would be appreciated!
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

2. Banned
    Probably not a fuse since it is an intermittent problem. Sound like a loose connection. Or corrision

Clean all connections and battery terminals, the get rid of the wing nuts and use regular stainless nuts on the terminals.

Make sure you are getting voltage in and out of the solenoid. My neighbor had this problem last week

5. Member
    You said you heard something at the motor, was it a wheering sound? If so lube your bendix on the starter motor
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

6. Member
    I would ask this on the Mercury motor 3.0 forum. List your serial number for Don to give you his answer

7. Member
    tightened the wing nut on the positive side of the battery and everything started working.
    This where you should start, get rid of the wingnuts, use only SS nuts.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    Swapped the SS wing nuts for SS hex nuts. I put a socket on them and tightened them up. The motor started right up. I am happy that it did but it did this before. I am going to have to be careful not to get too far from a ramp.

Thanks everyone!
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

9. Member
    Planned on going fishing tomorrow. Went outside and did a test "bump" of the key. It will not start. It sounds like the starter is engaging but not turning the flywheel.

I will take the cowling off tomorrow.

Comments?
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

10. Member
    never use wing nuts on a battery first issue!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    never use wing nuts on a battery first issue!!!
    Huh?!?!
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    Planned on going fishing tomorrow. Went outside and did a test "bump" of the key. It will not start. It sounds like the starter is engaging but not turning the flywheel.

I will take the cowling off tomorrow.

Comments?
    It sounds like the bendix to me,The starter shaft may be dirty and binding the starter gear, watch the gear and if it's spinning and not popping up spray the shaft with WD.40, it may loosen things up.

13. Member
    Typing on this website sux!
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

14. Member
    I don't know what it is about this website and my laptop. Every time I try to post on here, things go squirrely. It doesn't print what I am typing, then it all disappears. I am on my desk top now and the problem doesn't happen on it. Go figure.I took the cowling off this morning and started messing with the engine. I put a socket wrench on the flywheel and the motor spun. That's good! While I was there, I put a new belt on the alternator and a new fuel filter on. Can't hurt. I sprayed some WD40 on the starter bendix (whether it needed it or not) and the Merc started. I looked at the starter and there was a date of 02/14/01 on the side. That starter is over 18 years old! I think I'll replace it just to be sure. A friend of mine told me to change out the starter relay. I told him I know where the jack plate relays are but I have no idea where the starter relay is. I think I am going to unplug the battery charger, let it sit for a few days and see what the starter battery reads. The journey continues.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

Does not have a relay, it does have a slave solonoid which is very easy to test with a DVOM
    Post this question on the 3L mercury forum, Be sure to read the announcement's at the top of the page an provide all info required
    You will have to have a DVOM to test voltage
    specific battery size, type and specs
    Battery state of charge and battery test results (CCA preferably)
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    Well, the drama continues. I put a brand new starter on Friday night. It didn't help. I put two new starter relays on today. It didn't help. I put new 4 gauge positive and negative battery cables on. The motor did start but it doesn't seem to throw that flywheel around like it should. I have not replaced the starter solenoid. To make things even better, I am now not sure as to whether the impeller is pumping out water. I have run out of time today where I can monkey with this thing. Getting late and don't want to aggravate the neighbors. I am beginning to wonder about that supposedly good starter battery. I'll deal with that tomorrow. I have been up since 5 am and I am tired.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

17. Member
    Sounds like dancing in the dark. Needs to go to the Merc forum, and in hindsight, sounds like he needs to see a boat mechanic. This could be something as simple as a loose ground lug or a bad battery.
    I have a strong electrical background, a good mechanic and this would be easy to troubleshoot, and a lot cheaper.

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Clean all connections and battery terminals, the get rid of the wing nuts and use regular stainless nuts on the terminals.
    This ^^^^

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    He did, Mike. See post #8.

As others have said, he needs to talk with Don in the Merc forum.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Sounds like dancing in the dark. Needs to go to the Merc forum, and in hindsight, sounds like he needs to see a boat mechanic. This could be something as simple as a loose ground lug or a bad battery.
    I have a strong electrical background, a good mechanic and this would be easy to troubleshoot, and a lot cheaper.
    The boat shop I have used for the last 10 years has closed down.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast