Smartcraft gauge issue

We bought a new pontoon with a DTS 200 hp V6 w/ the Smartcraft Tach and Speed gauges. The water pressure screen on the Tach always reads 38psi. Switch the key to the "on" position and gauge reads 38psi, start engine it reads 38psi, any rpm up to full throttle (5800) it reads 38psi. This can't be right, can it?
    The engine has normal heat 145 degrees at idle and 129 degrees under way. Other screens say water pressure is "OK" and engine has a good stream of water coming out of it.

I was going to do a factory reset on the gauges, but I hate to loose the fuel tank calibrations the dealer did because it's spot on. I keep the boat on a lift and don't have a trailer and the dealer is 150 miles away. I could take it to another Mercury dealer on the lake, but I really hate to do that.

Any ideas, I guess it could be either the gauge or the sending unit right?
    Mercury 200hp V6 DTS #2B590854

2. Member
    Think you need the optional water pressure sensor to display on Smartcraft - Don will confirm.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    It's a DTS engine and came with the Smartcraft gauges as OE equipment, so I think it has the correct sending units.

4. Member
    ***** Update ***** This morning I turned the key to "on" and water PSI was at "0", instead of the usual 38 PSI it displays. I started the engine and it stayed at "0 PSI. The engine had a good stream of water and when cycling thru the gauge displays, the one screen says water pressure "OK". After a minute of running with the gauge at 0 PSI it suddenly changed to 38 PSI. It stayed at 38 PSI the rest of the day, no matter what RPM or how many times I started and stopped the engine.

5. Member
    FWIW, my boat came from Ranger rigged with Smartcraft, but they left the Analog water pressure sensor on it. I had to have a digital one installed...so...while I agree your boat builder should have rigged it with a digital water pressure sender...I’m living proof it doesn’t always happen....or, you could have a bad sender or some other problem
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water Pressure Sensor is an OPTIONAL accessory. You'll need to add it if you want to see Water Pressure on Smartcraft.

If you want to see BOTH Analog and Smartcraft, there is a link in the FAQ Section with information on how to accomplish it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks Don. I just assumed a new boat with a DTS engine and Smartcraft gauges would have the digital sensor already installed. I don't need both analog and digital, so can I just get the 8M0059531 Digital Pressure Sensor from Rhonda and replace the analog one and plug the same wires back in? Where on the 200 V6 is the sensor located, I can't tell from the pic in the FAQ post.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0142696 is the Digital Pressure Sensor when NOT using Analog (threads direct into the top on STB side).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks.