Why would a fuse blow?

Odd question I know, easy to answer but it has me a little confused. Back story: I have a 2015 G3 with a 90/65 jet on the back and went to check the fuel level by turning the key this morning and nothing, nothing at all. Found out it was a blown main 20a mini fuse in the engine. Weird part about this whole thing is I havent used the boat since most likely last december as it was kept in a garage until this past april where I took the boat to our camp site. It was sitting in a field with the cover on.

The only thing I did different last year was hook my 2 bank battery charger up to the starting battery and left it plugged in throughout the winter, it was one of those bass pro chargers that do the maintenance on the batteries, i think its actually called conditioning. Dont know if it works but i left it plugged in. So the question I have is why would the fuse blow if I didnt use the engine at all and woluld having the 2 bank battery charger hooked up with both banks on one battery cause the fuse to blow? Its a little weird.

Thanks guys

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My guess would be a lightning strike nearby.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Hard to say what blew the fuse. Might have been lightening like was said. But there is no way I would leave an unattended boat with charger plugged in all winter. Too big of a chance of anything happening and burning it up. Plus I always a chance it could boil the battery if it doesn’t go to maint mode.