Engine oil coming out during impeller change

<Edit- Added 1B989023.>

I bought a used boat a couple of years ago that came with a 2013 Mercury 115 Four Stroke EFI. I had a solid tone alarm go off a couple times recently, but oil was fine. I thought it was time to replace the impeller, so I ordered the kit and dropped the lower unit. Oil began to pour out as I pulled the lower unit and shaft out. I’d say probably a quart or so of oil drained out. I noticed the shaft splines and shifter splines were bone dry. There was heat discoloration just below the splines on the shaft. There was also some scoring on the shaft where a seal probably contacts it. It didn’t look like the unit had ever been serviced and no grease was applied at the factory. So with my limited knowledge of marine engines, I’m guessing the seal or seals on the oil pump are torn and that’s where the oil came from when I pulled out the shaft. Any advice on this? It’s looking like this could be Costly.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-10-2019 at 01:06 PM.

2. Member

3. Member
    Here are some scoped photos of where the shaft stops. You can see there's an opening. It looks like this should be full of oil when the shaft is in. There are 3 seals at the bottom, and keep in mind I had no leaks before I dropped the lower unit. It looks like the shaft is supposed to have oil around it above the seals, yet I can't find any material to back this up. The only mechanic I was able to talk to over the holiday weekend said he's never heard of oil coming out when dropping the lower unit.

Need to post your engine serial # Don probley could see if there is a issue.

5. Member
    2013 1B989023. I'm thinking this has to be similar to the Verado, where it's necessary to drain the engine oil before dropping the lower unit, otherwise why would there be a hole at the top with moving parts above it that look like they need lubrication? In the owner's manual for the Verado, under the 300 hour maintenance section, it says to drain the engine oil before replacing the water pump impeller. It doesn't mention it in the same section of the 115 Four Stroke manual. I have found others with the same problem on line, but no confirmation that it's normal. I'll be making some calls tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cory5129; 07-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.

6. Member
    Ok, mystery solved. In case anyone ever tries researching this topic, I spoke to two different mechanics and also Mercury customer service. There is oil that rides above the drive shaft on my 2013 four stroke. It was confirmed that the service manual and the owner's manual do not mention anything about draining the engine oil before dropping the lower unit; however, you're probably going to have a mess if you don't. Mercury said that the engine angle will change how much oil leaks out, so it's best just to drain the oil. I planned on changing the engine oil and gear case oil too, but I should've drained the engine oil before dropping the lower unit.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    L4NA is a Verado 4cyl. Powerhead (just a Naturally-Aspirated version... which requires oil be drained prior to removing gearcase).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks for the info. I was sweating it for a while.

10. Member
    So I got everything back together and fired it up after changing the impeller, engine oil, gear oil, fuel filter and spark plugs. I fired it up and it has good water flow at the tell-tale. Within in about 20-30 seconds I started getting the continuous warning tone, like I got a couple of times before the impeller change. Oil level is about 1/4 into the cross section. I'm out of oil and had to order some, but I wouldn't think 1/4 into the cross section would trigger a low oil alarm. So cooling problem or oil pump problem? I saw on another forum someone had to replace their air intake temp sensor under the same circumstances. That's an expensive part to take a guess with. I'd really like to figure this out before hauling my boat to the nearest dealer over an hour away.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Warning horn can be caused by dozens of potential faults. Unless you have a Smartcraft Instrument displaying what the fault is, you need to get the engine on the Computer Diagnostic System for PRINTOUTS of the:

-Run History
    -Fault Seconds Counters
    -Freeze Frame (Fault) History.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Thanks. I actually called your place this morning to get pricing and info on a Mercmonitor and VVM. Haven't decided which one to get. Waiting for an email with the info. I'm taking the boat out tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. Will be on a small reservoir, so if an alarm goes off, I'll just shut it down and use the trolling motor.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Email was sent from the Parts Department with info- please respond to that email for further assistance.