Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I run a Skeeter but have been looking at a bird only because I am not a fan of the livewell in the 15 model Skeeter..the Bird has a better livewell system...fit and finish is about the same...driver input goes to the Skeeter...the bird is a little faster...the Skeeter is gonna sit higher in the water...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    Both awesome boats. The Phoenix will be faster but will walk some requiring some driver input. The Skeeter will be a hair slower, but you can eat a sandwich while driving it across the lake due to zero chine walk. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. I would however wait a week or so until the new Skeeter FXR is released just to see what the changes for 2020 are.
    The stability of the Skeeter hull at high speed is a compelling reason to go with the Skeeter. I'm an old codger now but I got tired of dealing with chine walking years ago. Most Skeeters simply don't do it. And I find their hulls to be extremely stable fishing platforms as well. Phoenix has a lot of fans on these boards but you really should drive both before spending that much $.

If you listen to only what you hear on these boards you would think that chine walk is an issue - when I test drove the Phoenix before I bought (light and without tackle) I was expecting that but there was no walk at all and it was much more nimble than my I class. This really surprised me with a nearly 22' boat. Stability/fishability between the two is too close to call - both great but I do like how the Phoenix sits lower in the water and gets blown around less off shore. I agree you should definitely test drive them because you may be very surprised as I was.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Member
    FX21 will have a noticeably larger front deck when compared to the 920. I would always rather have the bigger boat.

Quote Originally Posted by waknbass View Post
    FX21 will have a noticeably larger front deck when compared to the 920. I would always rather have the bigger boat.
    I agree about the bigger boat but those two models are actually very close in front deck size - the Skeeter is only 5" longer and the beam is 1" less. We had them parked side by side at the dealer. The Phoenix 21's are considerably larger though since they are almost 22".

6. Member
    To much cheap plastic on the dash and front end of a Phoenix looks like something out of the late 80s at least Skeeter uses Aluminum and a composite material for the dashes and front end .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I agree about the bigger boat but those two models are actually very close in front deck size - the Skeeter is only 5" longer and the beam is 1" less. We had them parked side by side at the dealer. The Phoenix 21's are considerably larger though since they are almost 22".
    Was parked next to a 920 PHX on Monday and there is a very noticeable size difference in the front deck. FX21 is a good bit longer than the 920 on the front deck. The front deck is around 15" longer than the 920 front deck. Im not a fan of the massive back deck on the Phoenix. They need to cut it down and add it to the front.

8. Member
    Skeeter is what I would pick as long as you have a good dealer to work with.

9. Member
    Since Skeeter counts those protrusions in the rear to get their overall length, the 920 is close to the same size as the FX21, and noticeably bigger than an FX20.

10. Member
    920 front deck is 85.5” long and the fx21 is 101” long. 921 would be more of a fair comparison.

I'd be interested to check the measurement in width at the seat post on both. The FX21 might have a longer deck than the 920 but it feels narrower where you do your work up at the foot pedal. Might be more similar to the 721 which also has a narrower front deck. I know going from my 20i to my 21 PHX felt like I added another zip code to the front of the boat. You can have two guys, one standing on each side of the TM pedal, paralleling a bank with ease.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I'd be interested to check the measurement in width at the seat post on both. The FX21 might have a longer deck than the 920 but it feels narrower where you do your work up at the foot pedal. Might be more similar to the 721 which also has a narrower front deck. I know going from my 20i to my 21 PHX felt like I added another zip code to the front of the boat. You can have two guys, one standing on each side of the TM pedal, paralleling a bank with ease.

One thing you have to remember is the Skeeter trolling Motor is pushed further forward than the Phoenix making the deck longer and a little more narrow at TM pedal. Your also comparing a 20i to a 21 PHX which is one of the biggest boats made. If we were comparing the 921 pro xp or PHX it would be a better comparison. Having fished from both a 920 and FX21, there is no comparison for me. The added room up front on the FX21 is night and day. The added length is great for partner tournaments. In the end I was between the 921 pro xp and fx21.

I found all of the dimensions from when I was looking at Skeeter/Phoenix.

Phoenix 920
    Width
    seat post - 65"
    back of TM pedal - 53"
    front of consoles - 77"

Length of deck from bow shroud to consoles - 85.5"

Skeeter FX21
    Width
    seat post - 64"
    back of TM pedal - 52"
    front of consoles - 78"

Length of deck from bow shroud to consoles - 101"
    Last edited by waknbass; 07-19-2019 at 08:38 AM.

13. Member
    If you want the biggest of everything, buy the 921.

14. Banned
    Phoenix... Because I'd never own a Yamaha... Dan

15. Member
    I drove both and bought the Phoenix. The 920 felt short so I bought the 721. I drove all 3 fx21, 920 and 721. I felt 921 too long

16. Banned
    Both great boats, can't go wrong with either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12