Mac and Cheese and other things....suggestions

Whatcha got for recipes? I just got a rec tec and will be entertaining next week. Planning on pulled pork, pulled chicken and either poor mans burnt ends or ribs. Looking for sides etc.... that can go in with other things

2. Banned
    Mac n Cheese goes well, but you need time to fix it hot. Most go with potato salad and cole slaw that can be made up the day before. Baked beans can be pre-prepared and slapped in the oven the last 90 minutes. Dessert, go with Edwards' pie slices in lemon and pecan that come pre-wrapped in plastic.

3. Member
    Here's a couple Mac & cheese recipes that I have used and liked them both. These were done on a Big Steel Keg.

5 cheese Mac and cheese

2 cups White Sharp Cheddar
    1 cup Longhorn or Mild Cheddar
    1.5 cups Mozzarella
    1 cup Provolone (smoked has more flavor)
    1 cup Parmesean
    1 stick butter or margarine
    1 cup Romano, Asiago, or salty cheese of preference
    1 pint light cream or milk
    1 pound box of elbow macaroni
    1 tsp salt
    4-6 eggs (for large 6, for jumbo 4)

Cooking Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil a large pot about 3/4 full of water. Add a
    healthy pinch of salt to the water. Pour entire box of pasta in water and stir.
    Boil pasta for about 7-9 minutes or until it's "al dente" or has a bite.

While your pasta cooks, in a large bowl, mix all of the cheeses together. With
    your hands, blend the cheeses so the color looks even. From this mixture remove
    about a cup of the cheese blend and set aside for later.

To the cheese mixture, add your eggs, salt, and light cream. Melt the stick of
    butter in microwave and add to mixture. Stir this wet cheese mixture until it
    has the consistency of a wet oatmeal. Usually takes about 2-4 minutes.

Drain pasta and pour half of the cooked pasta into the wet cheese blend. Stir in
    contents thoroughly, then repeat with second half.

In a 9"x13" pan ( or one near that size), grease/butter the entire pan very
    well. This prevents the mixture from sticking and creates great color. Pour the
    entire mixture from the bowl into your greased pan and spread it evenly.

Finally, take that cup of the dry cheese blend and sprinkle that evenly across
    the top of the mixture. Place the dish in the oven and bake on the top rack.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove when bubbly and golden on top. Allow to cool for
    5- minutes, serve and enjoy!

6 Servings (This is not a loose mac it spoons out firm, add 1/2 cup more milk and more cheese is you prefer runny)

1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1 tsp mustard powder
    5 cups of milk
    3 or 4 cups of sharp cheddar shredded
    1/2 tsp of kosher salt
    Pinch of white pepper (black is ok)
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire
    Small yellow onion finely grated

Cooked 1 pound box of elbow or corkscrew mac

This can be prepped early and baked later

Melt Butter in med / large sauce pan blend in flour and mustard (do not brown you are not making a rue) slowly stir in milk, cook until thickened
    Reserve 1 cup of cheddar for topping, mix in the rest of the cheddar and all other ingredients except macaroni.
    Taste and add salt or other, then off heat mix in macaroni (add bacon, peppers, ham, pimentos or whatever sounds good)

Butter a cast iron well seasoned 9" pan (I did in a 12" / again large family double recipe, I had another small Pyrex for those that do not do jalepenos)

Pour in mixture spread evenly and top with reserved cheese

Keg it at 350-360 until bubbly and browning approx 30 min

Dive In

4. Member
    Jalapeno poppers are great off a smoker.

5. Member
    No boil smoked mac

3 cups uncooked macaroni
    1 stick butter
    12 oz shredded cheddar
    4 oz shredded mozzarella(some times i will also add some velveeta)
    4 cups milk
    salt & pepper to taste

Add all to a disposable tin pan and smoke away @ 250 for a few hrs.

The more you stir it the more smoky flavor you will get.

You can also add some shredded smoked meat to it.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

I'll always use at least 4 or 5 different types of cheese....sharp and mild cheddar, Colby, Mozzarella, and always a small carton of cottage cheese. One time I had half a carton of sour cream in the refrigerator and threw that in.

I don't do recipes. Mac & Cheese is sort of like chili or stew to me....throw in whatever sounds good. I always start out with a roux with some very finely chopped onion or scallion, salt & pepper, make sure the flour is cooked well, then add milk until I get like a thin white sauce and then start adding shredded cheese and stirring it in and adding milk and cream and more cheese and about a teaspoon of dry mustard , until I have a good thick cheese sauce. Stir that in with the pasta and then I usually stir in some more cheese and cottage cheese and parmesan and what ever sounds good. Put it in a casserole dish and sprinkle MORE cheese on top....after all, this America...the only thing better than cheese is MORE CHEESE. Sometimes at this stage, I might pour in a little extra milk to make sure it doesn't come out dry. I don't want it soupy but it can come out brick like if there's not enough liquid or it's left in the oven too long. Put in the oven until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the cheese on top is golden.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.