RT 178 storage and paint ?’s.

Looking at the Ranger RT 178. How dry is the storage in these boats? Are any of you having any issues keeping your stuff dry in any of these boxes? Also, any issues with the paint wearing off or boat cover rubbing it off? Any other issues to be aware of? Thanks for any and all input.

2. Member
    I have a new RT178 purchased this spring. I have not had it in the rain yet but have put spaghetti mat in all compartments as the drain holes with rubber grommets would ( if water did get in ) allow a bit of water to remain . It's not cheap but this is the best price I found for enough material to fill all compartments. It is 3/8" thick and should work perfectly.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/253909354631

all the boxes with the plastic tubs stay dry in mine....all the other ones leak
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

4. Member
    How about the storage under the seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Scott View Post
    How about the storage under the seats?
    Based on friends' experiences...not so dry under the seats.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I have a 198P, not the same boat but similar.
    I was worried at first about scratching the paint but it has been a non factor. I trailered with the cover on a few times with no scratches, same with beaching. The paint is tough!
    My compartments stay dry, don't fish in the rain much but have a few times. I think the guys in the south with high humidity have more of an issue with it.

7. Member
    I have towed with the cover on for around 1500 miles and have not noticed any damage to the paint. I have also towed without the cover in a rainstorm and the rod locker was soaked and under the seat got just a little water not much. When fishing in a light rain for around a hour they stay dry. The rod locker is the main one I have to dry out with a fan because of the carpet after a heavy rain. Humidity and considation have not been a problem for me.

8. Member
    I've had my 178 for 2 1/2 years. I've fished and/or trailered in the rain several times. Under seat storage and the large front box have never been wet, the small front box has had a little water in it one time. Not sure why only once. The rod box gets a little wet if it's a heavy rain. I don't remember if the two rear boxes have been wet. The step box leading up to the front deck gets wet every time. I don't tow with a cover. I have a couple of scratches in the paint and decals from these junky azz boat docks around here with exposed metal, screws, etc. and worn out bumper material. I was more careful with my glass boat but I've let my guard down a little since I've had my tin boat.

9. Member
    Appreciate all that have replied. Keep the reviews coming.

10. Member
    It seems like the carpet in the step box and rod locker soaks up the water from carpet outside of the boxes. The hard boxes you can just wipe out with a rag and be done with it if they gey wet.

11. Member
    On my 4th year with my rt188. Haven't had any issues with wet storage areas other than the center rod locker at times. All of my paint damage has been caused by trailering with the cover. It didn't scratch the paint, but it has rubbed big dull spots at every strap location. They will not "rub-out" even with professional compounds and machine buffing.
    Being Black has made this worse than other colors in my opinion, and much more noticeable. I put blue masking tape under the strap locations now for long hauls, but honestly, the damage is done. I do tow 4-6 hours each way dozens of times per year so it has many hours to cause the damage, but it is still disappointing.
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

12. Member
    Any issues with the color white and water line staining?

13. Member
    Mine is silver. It gets a scum line but so far it comes off pretty easy when I decide to wash it. It's been sitting with a pretty good one lately while I heal from knee replacement and hernia surgery.

14. Member
    Mine is white and cleans up after fishing without any stains. I think the white does not show the imperfections of aluminum boats quite as bad and could be slightly cooler on a sunny day.

the only wet compartments I get after a good rain are the step box and the rod locker. Both of these are just boxes set on the carpet, they don't have a separate bottom. So, they will get wet if the carpet gets soaked with a good rain.

thinking of selling mine as I'm not able to use it much anymore.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

16. Member
    Good informative information. Looks like the step up box and rod lockers have the most potential to get soaked which is good to know. I’m looking at the 178 for restricted HP lakes (25 hp) mainly, but it would be my primary boat for a few years.